1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about ameracaunas

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ausash, Jun 12, 2007.

1. ausash

ausash Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    I bought a bunch of chicks from the feed store who are about 4 weeks old now and they told me they were ameracaunas and I am not sure if they are boys or girls. They have slight yellow combs (a little bigger than I am accustomed to with my other breeds) and long tail feathers. They told me they were all hens but I am just concerned as they are all so beautiful already and I relate that to roos not hens. Also the RIR's hens they sold me have suspiciously big combs for their age and long tail feathers so I am hoping that they are not roos also as they told me that they were hens also. Can anybody enlighten me on this as I have never had purebred ameracaunas before and am unsure how to distinguish the early sign of roos.

Thanks.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    you should post pictures. The people here are very helpful with this kind of question.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Look for a wide comb. The girls will have a thin comb with just the center line-boys combs will be very wide with the three rows of little knobs showing. Look at these of mine-they are almost 8 weeks old now, but these are earlier pics. First is a pullet, second is a cockerel:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, here are the same chicks a bit later on:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  4. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    I don't know much about combs, but my only americauna chick was HUGE. She was always bigger than all the other chicks, grew faster, etc. Now that they are almost 4 months old she has fallen behind and is smaller than all of them! It was amazing- she just grew like a weed until about 3 months old and then stopped. The other chicks kept on going... now they are much, much bigger (and fatter) then her.

I was worried because of this ridiculous growth rate that she was a rooster. Not so. She is a hen- at 11 weeks she still has a yellowy-pink comb, small legs and feet, no wattles, and a very shy temperament.

[​IMG]

-MTchick

5. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    Nuts! My EE chick has a wide comb with 3 rows of bumps! Oh well, I just hope at least 2 of my chicks are girls.

6. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    What MTchick said--Ameraucanas are BIG chicks. They beat up on my Cochin roos if they feel the boys are getting out of line. When my Ameraucanas were chicks, even at only a few days old, they would clear themselves a path to the feeder by waiting for the other breed chicks to crowd up in a bunch, then run as fast as they could at the chickpile to crash the rest apart like little fuzzy bowling pins. I had to separate the Cochins for a while until they caught up in size, and at 10 weeks they are still not completely caught up.

7. blossom hen

blossom hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    NE Tx
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ausash

ausash Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Well I looked at the combs and they are thicker than the other breeds I have but none of them have more than one line of bumps so fingers are crossed and hoping for the best. Now I just have to see about those RIR's. I really think they are roos and I will have to talk to the feed store about that and see what they say.

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by