Question about Amprolium dosage

dustbath

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Washington County, NY
I'm treating my chickens for cocci with Amprolium, a 9.6% solution packaged for cattle, so there's no dosage info for poultry. The dosage information I found was 1.25 ml per liter, which works out to about 1/4 tsp per liter.

Is this right? It seems like not much medicine for a lot of water. Also, my chickens don't seem to drink anything like that much. Should I increase the concentration?

Thanks for any feedback.

The solution I have is 9.6% and says there are 96 mgs per ml of solution. The bottle contains 473 ml.

I am giving it to the flock because one of the hens just died after showing symptoms consistent with cocci. But I've looked up symptoms and found a number of other diseases that are also possible, including fowl cholera.

I see that sulfadimethoxine can be used to treat both diseases. Do you advise switching? I've only just added some aprolium to the drinking water.

oldtimegator, the bottle of Amprol 9.6% I got from First State Veterinary Supply indicates a dosage as follows:

Mix 9.5 cc/ml in a gallon of water and give for 5 - 7 days. For the treatment of coccidiosis.

Do you mix yours the same way?

Jen in TN

Thank you!! I'll keep this on hand.

As it turns out, the hen died of acute hepatitis (she was autopsied). By the time she was showing the symptoms, it was hopeless, and she had probably been ill for a year at least, if not her entire life. I should have begun treating her when she stopped laying a year ago. I did ask the local cooperative extension about it and was told that this was normal, nothing to worry about!

On a vet's advice, I'm treating the rest of the flock with terramycin, the appropriate drug apparently.

The dosage instructions I found on-line for terramycin is 1 tsp per gallon. I don't really understand this approach (this is the first illness I've dealt with). How do I know the birds are getting enough of the medication? They don't drink a consistent amount of water each day and obviously they share their waterers. Can you explain how this works? Thanks!

missinfo ~ hepatitis??? Yikes. I have never heard of a case in chickens. Maybe you could start a new thread on that. I would be interested to hear if there's anyone else who has encountered hep in their flocks.

And ~ sorry for your loss. Smart, responsible move to have the autopsy done. Keep on chickening!

Jen in TN

Thanks: I'm treating the others and thinking about getting new hens.

Do you have any thoughts about the terramycin dosage? How does adding it to the water work?

Thanks!

missinfo, I have Terramycin at home but have not yet used it, so I will have to check. I have no info on hand that this has been used for hep in poultry, but you may wish to research it.

Did the vet say what kind of hepatitis? Seems to me that would be very important, as different strains have different methods of transmission. Did he indicate whether it was transmittable to humans or other poultry?

Perhaps one of our very experienced folks could comment on this.

I may be wrong, but I don't think chickens get "hepatitis" like humans. I believe what they are referring to is liver disease. It was probably brought on by an e-coli infection.

Back
Top Bottom