Question about an Aggressive Goat

tapirtoes

Hatching
Sep 15, 2021
Hello!
I have four fainting goats, Possum, Patch, Panko and Rosie. Unfortunately there’s been a bit of fighting happening but it’s getting to be too much. Possum bullies Patch to the point of Patch being too scared to eat, and he’s constantly cowering from Possum (and Possum rams into him every chance he gets). Is this bad enough to get rid of Possum? Should we try giving them two separate feeders so they don’t fight over that? I would appreciate any ideas. Thank you!

I have four miniature goats, and one -- Jack -- is a terrible jerk. Although Bandit is clearly the leader, Jack is the "enforcer" and will charge at the girls for any and all reasons.

I always put the feed in four separate places to give everyone a chance to eat. Bandit gets the first hay on his little platform. Jack's hay goes into the feeder next, Tessa eats on her platform and Greta's hay goes inside one of the little shelters. Still, Jack will run from his feed to the girls' and try to take theirs. Some goats are just jerks.

Should you get rid of Possum? Maybe. A couple of years ago, Jack hit one of my female fainter crosses who fell badly and did serious damage to her neck/back. She died a couple of days later. I also suspect him in the injury death of another girl last winter, although I can't prove that he caused her fall on the ice that caused internal injuries.

Both of the girls who died were smaller and more docile than Jack. Although Greta is smaller, she is really fast and wary. She and Tessa are much more assertive than the other girls were. Tessa, especially, will match him head butt for head butt.

Good luck figuring out your situation.

I have four miniature goats, and one -- Jack -- is a terrible jerk. Although Bandit is clearly the leader, Jack is the "enforcer" and will charge at the girls for any and all reasons.

I always put the feed in four separate places to give everyone a chance to eat. Bandit gets the first hay on his little platform. Jack's hay goes into the feeder next, Tessa eats on her platform and Greta's hay goes inside one of the little shelters. Still, Jack will run from his feed to the girls' and try to take theirs. Some goats are just jerks.

Should you get rid of Possum? Maybe. A couple of years ago, Jack hit one of my female fainter crosses who fell badly and did serious damage to her neck/back. She died a couple of days later. I also suspect him in the injury death of another girl last winter, although I can't prove that he caused her fall on the ice that caused internal injuries.

Both of the girls who died were smaller and more docile than Jack. Although Greta is smaller, she is really fast and wary. She and Tessa are much more assertive than the other girls were. Tessa, especially, will match him head butt for head butt.

Good luck figuring out your situation.

I think i’ll end up trying the separate feeders for a few weeks before we think about getting rid of Possum. Thanks!

Hello!
I have four fainting goats, Possum, Patch, Panko and Rosie. Unfortunately there’s been a bit of fighting happening but it’s getting to be too much. Possum bullies Patch to the point of Patch being too scared to eat, and he’s constantly cowering from Possum (and Possum rams into him every chance he gets). Is this bad enough to get rid of Possum? Should we try giving them two separate feeders so they don’t fight over that? I would appreciate any ideas. Thank you!
If Possum is a male and not debudded or fixed that’s probably the issue.
I have a ten month old doeling and a four year old wether and he’ll but Skittles away from the food constantly but he will let her eat, I toss a pile of hay off to the side for Skittles while Snickers eats, I think it might be a dominance thing, like how an alpha wolf has to eat first but the others can eat after.

Back
Top Bottom