Question About Attached Yoke On Hatchling (detailed image included)

Bee

Songster
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Flemington, GA
In my current batch of chicks, eight are fine, but the ninth one has either a very large yoke still attached to be obsorbed or it is deformed. I am not sure. I am including a picture but it isn't clear. The yoke or whatever it is, doesn't show up as large as it looks to me. Also, right after it hatched away from the egg, there was a lot of fluid (yellowish) and I saw it 'pass' more fluid what was yellow and white liquid. Is this something that happens sometimes? Is this the yoke still to be obsorbed? This chick is really sticky also. I want to wipe/bathe it off some but I don't want to open the hatcher and let it get chilled.
Any help or thoughts is appreciated.

04-23-2008191.jpg

04-23-2008190.jpg

Did you help it out of the shell or did it hatch that way???? I've read some posts on here where a chick starts to come out but the yolk isn't absorbed all the way, and they wrap in in something moist until the yolk absorbs. That was for chicks still half in the shell, though. Haven't seen anything about ur situation, but I'm sure someone else will be able to help!!! Good luck, and hope it survives!!!

It was taking a long time to hatch so I put a damp rag beside the egg. The membrane seems to be drying out so the extra moisture helped. The chick hatched on it's own.

if it came out by its self that is kinda wierd. but I have seen on here with a duck and another chick that had a yolk still attached. Just keep humidity relly high 65-70 and let the chick rest. the yolk will still absorb in about 2 days. let it rest, that is the most inportant.

I keep checking on this little baby. It's sleeping a lot, but breathing and drying, although sticky. A bath will have to wait till it is more active.
I have a pip that is steadly working away making the zip bigger.
I have five more eggs. I listened to them to see if I hear anything and heard a tapping in all five. Maybe more chicks on the way yet.
I did notice an oder, but think it is from the fluid from the birth of the drying chick heating up.

Back
Top Bottom