1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about baby goat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by CindyS, Apr 23, 2009.

1. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I am getting a baby nubian nanny tomorrow and she was born with 2 billys. Will she be able to breed when she gets older. I ask this because I use to have dairy cows and a heifer born with a bull is always sterile.

2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Yes, she can be bred. [​IMG]

3. SheriM

SheriM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Free martens aren't a problem in goats like they are in cattle. She should have no problem breeding. I have several does who have brothers out there and all those brothers are now uncles. [​IMG]

4. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I agree , she should be fine and have had triplets with 2 bucks and 1 doe and she had a beautiful baby last year...It isnt like cattle...

5. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    I wrote this on a similar thread not that long ago:

In case anyone is interested in the science behind why cattle get freemartins but goats dont ...

early on when the pregnancy is establishing, the first thing to develop is the membranes which form the foetus' half of the placenta. These membranes spread out and they have to cover a certain % of the uterus for the body to recognise the pregnancy and sustain it.

In monoctus animals (those which generally ovulate only a single egg eg. cattle, deer, alpaca, horse), the membranes spread out as described above. If for some reason, there is twins or triplets in a monoctus animal, the membranes generally overlap. Monoctus foetuses do not have the ability to move very much, so the membranes remain overlapped. If the twins are a mixed sex pair (ie bull and heifer) some of the hormones from the bull foetus are transported to the heifer foetus via the overlapped membranes, and it is these hormones that result in the female being sterile. There is no effect on the bull.

In polyoctus animals (those which generally ovulate more than one egg eg. pig, goat, sheep, dog, cat), the membranes spread out like mentioned, but in the case of an overlap of membranes, polyoctus foetuses are capable of motility in the uterus, so they simply move around and spread out until their membranes arent overlapping. Thus avoiding the transfer of hormones and avoiding the freemartin sterility issue.

Understanding that logic, of course there is the possibility that mixed sex bovine twins will not result in a freemartin, and multiples in goats can result in a freemartin. But I havent yet seen a goat or sheep freemartin.

Goattalker - I've had triplets, quads and quints in all sorts of sex combinations - including the one you mentioned - and have never had a sterility problem.

The last bit of this post - Goattalker said she had heard of triplets with 2M/1F and the female was sterile, but as I said then I've had many different trip, quad and quint sex combos and not had any fertility problems.​

6. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Well as far as I have seen around here the deer are in a group like goats as we have some around here with twins and triplets.
    Freemartins are just something that will happen when you breed brother to sister...That is what happened to a cow we had. It dont always happen, but it does happen alot in cattle. There are some goats that the females are freemartins or the makles have undestended testicles, or none at all.
    This is what I have observed with the animals around here.
    Now Hermaphrodites are a whole different subject. The females are born with both sex organs.

7. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Quote:Actually no, it has nothing to do with it.

Quote:Monorchidism and cryptorchidism (one or both undescended testes) in buck kids has absolutely NOTHING to do with the freemartin phenomena, although it is highly heritable.

How many does have you seen, that are diagnosed freemartins? Unless you are dealing with thousands of animals for many years, I am surprised that you would see more than one, if that, since the occurence of freemartins in goats is so low.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by