question about bedding for duck brooder

Sugar Sand Farm

Songster
12 Years
Apr 24, 2007
North Florida
I have been reading everything I can about ducklings on this forum in preparation for ours arriving. I have a question Everyone has a favorite bedding they use I was wondering if it would be alright to use sand. We live in Northern Florida close to the gulf and our yard is mostly fine white sand. Wouldn't that be softer and dryer than hay or pine shavings. what do you think. Micki

I would put towels or an old sheet over the sand until they know it is not food. They will eat it and too much at that young age can cause problems.
It is a great idea for older ducklings, though and I would think it would drain well and stay cleaner. You can just stir it up and remove clumps.

Thanks Terri I was thinking of the old sheet myself. I'm going to try the sand in my goose house as well. That is terrible. What with the heat,flies and smell I am cleaning it everyday. It should help keep it dryer too. Right now they spill their water every night and I leave the house open every day so it drys. They are twelve weeks old they should be OK with just the sand and no sheet shouldn't they? Thanks again Micki

Back
Top Bottom