Question about blue genes in ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Dec 11, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    So is the white gene the same as the splash gene? A friend of mine is wondering if she breeds her black runner, to her white one if she will get blues? [​IMG]

Thanks In advance!

2. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Hi DG!

No, white is totally different to splash. Splash can look white, but genetically it is totally different.

Splash is caused by Black + Two doses of Blue.
    White is caused by two doses of White (which is recessive).

White also masks all other colour genes. The word for this type of masking colour is Epistatic.

With the Black and White Runner combo, your friend will most likely get black ducklings. But if the Black one only has one dose of the black gene then some offspring will probably not be black. Also, it depends on what the White bird has along with the white. White masks any other colour. White birds are meant to be mallard pattern/colour under the white but in reality they could be anything.

So, your friend could get an interesting mix [​IMG]

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    70%cocoa :

Hi DG!

No, white is totally different to splash. Splash can look white, but genetically it is totally different.

White also masks all other colour genes. The word for this type of masking colour is Epistatic.

With the Black and White Runner combo, your friend will most likely get black ducklings. But if the Black one only has one dose of the black gene then some offspring will probably not be black. Also, it depends on what the White bird has along with the white. White masks any other colour. White birds are meant to be mallard pattern/colour under the white but in reality they could be anything.

x2​

4. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    70%cocoa :

Hi DG!

Hey 70% [​IMG]

She got 5 black runners from holderreads, and 5 whites, and sold them all but a black drake and a white hen, so I think they are pure....​

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    (double post)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  6. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes, they should be pure [​IMG] So I'd say all black babies.

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Hey 70% [​IMG]

She got 5 black runners from holderreads, and 5 whites, and sold them all but a black drake and a white hen, so I think they are pure....

Yep, I'm pretty sure she meant an the friend could get an interesting mix of colors depending on what is under the white, not and interesting mixed breed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by