Question about bottle feeding

Crittercrzy

Songster
10 Years
Sep 4, 2009
NE Tennessee
As some of you know I"m bottle feeding a premie baby goat..He was born friday and his doing well....my question is..I've been warming his milk in the microwave for about 20 sec. I was told that microwaving is a no no...so, all day today I've been running it under hot water which takes soooo much longer. Whats your opinion on this??? Microwave or not?!?!?!?

I am bottle feeding 3, I use hot tap water (my water heater is set at 110 degrees) I mix their milk with that, if I need to re-heat a bottle, I heat up some water in the microwave and set the bottle in the hot water for a bit, shake it and see if it is warm enough (test on your wrist like for a human baby)

My mentor with the baby Alpacas (crias) told me never to use a microwave. It does something to the ions in the milk, I think. Turns the good ions into bad ions, and it also causes hot spots. Heat water and let it set in it and shake it till its the right temp. You can also use a bottle warmer which is what my mentor/friend does.

I've used the microwave plenty to heat bottles. Just make sure to shake it well to make sure there are no hot spots. You can also sit the bottle in a bowl of very hot water if you prefer.

Microwaving colostrum is a HUGE no-no because it kills the antibodies, but milk is fine.

I guess I don't care what is proven that microwaves are good and bad for - I don't use them, especially if I want to heat something and still get nutrients out of it. With our baby, I just run the hot water and add it. If I ever need to reheat it, I just run hot water again and fill a pot, sit the bottle in a pot of hot water, and let it sit until it heats up. It takes a couple minutes, but is much more worth it to me.

Quote:
Do you use your microwave for food?
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom