Question about breeding Chinese Geese...

Lucy has laid her first eggs this year!!! :) We got 3 so far, and all went into an incubator.
I have a question again. How do I get Lucy to sit on her eggs? I would LOVE to see her with goslings again. Do I just leave the eggs in there and she will eventually start sitting on them when she has accumulated as many as she needs? Or will she continue to lay constantly?
My problem is that this is Alaska, and it gets COLD at night. Much too cold for the eggs to be viable after getting so cold, or possibly get frozen... (our water still freezes at night)
Also, I have experience with chickens, but never had a broody goose...
Lucy was broody at her previous home, and sadly, because he gander was taken by a fox, she hatched her babies on her own... Now that she has Jake, will he sit on the eggs as well? Will they take turns? Or will she be the only one sitting? (Sorry if this is a silly question)

Oh yeah, and also, Jake's basal knob changed from this dull pinkish color when he first got here, to a nice orange color... Is that normal???

Last edited:
I am hoping that I can get an answer as I've just had two Chinese gooslings hatch yesterday.

I have 3 brown Chinese, 1 gander 2 geese. These eggs hatched faster than I had thought (she only really sat on them full time for 8 days.) But I have two healthy cute as heck goslings. But one looks like it will turn out to be white.

Can that be? A white chinese from two brown chinese? Or did the stork drop a surprise white Chinese baby here?

I am hoping that I can get an answer as I've just had two Chinese gooslings hatch yesterday. I have 3 brown Chinese, 1 gander 2 geese. These eggs hatched faster than I had thought (she only really sat on them full time for 8 days.) But I have two healthy cute as heck goslings. But one looks like it will turn out to be white. Can that be? A white chinese from two brown chinese? Or did the stork drop a surprise white Chinese baby here?
First off, when you say she only sat on them 8 full days, how long was off of them each day on those other days? Second, your geese have white chinese in their back ground somewhere. That doesnt mean that they are mixed breed they are still pure chinese its just a color cross. Can you get frontal pics of the parents? And possibly a closer pic of the goslings?

Back
Top Bottom