Question about breeding from a very small group of birds

Quote:
I'm getting 16 adult birds, in breeding groups of each of the four colours I mentioned, and maybe as many as half a dozen young growers of various colours. So whatever breeding method I settle on, I'll be doing it with four different groups of birds!

Quote:
This rolling mating system is a basic traditional system used for ages (with variations). I do like the addition that Oregon Blue gave you though: an unrelated excellent cock the second year.

I started with RI Red Bantams 23 years ago & followed a plan similar to the one fmp proposed. I brought in an unrelated male one year for a controlled outcross & he produced nothing but junk I culled him & all his offspring. Glad I didn't use him more extensively. Any unrelated outcross is a crap shoot at best. If you really feel the need for a new male try to find one from the same extended family but you really won't need one for some time.
As I said, 23 years w/o "new blood" and one of them was on the cover of Poultry Press last month.

Last edited:
Saladin, I have some questions which I hope isn't intruding on the thread, but it has to do with the breeding program you mentioned. I am new to breeding so I apologize if my questions show it!

I have 3 young roosters and 9 pullets, all of which are related. I've been debating whether to bust them up into three groups with a roo and 3 hens each, or perhaps just making 2 groups saving one of the roosters as back up incase something happens to one of the others. These are not hatchery birds, but are Speckled Sussex from a breeder. How do you think your "Option 2" plan would work with 3 trios of related birds and how would you do it? Or do you think I should just do two? Or do something else? I've kicked around the rolling system and/or line breeding, but after reading your post it appears that keeping the birds mated to more distant relatives than father/daughter etc. would give more longevity to the lines.

Also, I have another flock of SS which are not related to the first group although they came from the same breeder. They are 2 yrs. old, one rooster and 5 hens. I'm thinking it best not to mix the two flocks, but not really sure.

You just don't find that many SS from breeders floating around, so I certainly want to do the best I can with them. I sure would like to hear any suggestions you have.

Thanks a bunch.

Quote:
i keep best rooster from this flock and breed it to hens and then hatch chicks out of your older flock and mixed to line togeather

Quote:
So, to belabor the point in the name of clarity:

Your male is always in his first breeding year?
Your following the line through the females?
You only breed one color at a time insuring that they are either 2, 4, 6 years of age?
Do you thin this would work with OEGs?

Quote:
If they are all related so much the better.

You could put them into 2 or 3 groups. I use 2 because it just works for me and is easy to keep up with.

I'd divide them as flows:

Females: Pick out the 2 best hens. Let one be Red and one be Blue (my colors: use what you like). Now, divide the other hens based on which hen they look the most like. There are your two groups.

Males: Keep all three, but only use the best two. If they are all equal (is anything?), then use two your first year on the Red Family and that third one on the Blue family next year.

so on and so forth..........

You can try a side mating between the two strains and see what they throw. Here's what I'll tell you: NYReds is right you'll probably end up with a lot of junk, wasted time and wasted feed. You don't know until you've tried.

I collected Cubalayas for years and mixed them all together. Sometimes the results were dynamite but most of the time it produced some real problems.

Quote:
So, to belabor the point in the name of clarity:

Your male is always in his first breeding year?Not always. If you have an exceptional male you can utilize him again. Just remember two things. 1) Never breed him to his own family color. 2) Breed youth to age; thus, if used when he's older single mate him.
Your following the line through the females?Yes
You only breed one color at a time insuring that they are either 2, 4, 6 years of age?Yes. I don't like having to keep up with which chicks go with which family. I've got enough to do without worrying about a mix up. The simpler I can keep it the better off I am. I like simple.
Do you thin this would work with OEGs?

Yes it will. As a matter of fact, that's where I got it from old cockers manuels on breeding. I figured I might as well go with the best breeders the world as ever known.

Improvement of a breed does not go as fast with this system as one that utilizes pullets. Understand that from the beginning. You must have patience. If you don't the use another system.

This system believes that longevity should be bred into the breed you are working with.

The female chicks must survive until their second year to be producers. If they don't then you didn't want them in your gene pool. (If a predator takes them then you have say that is just the way it goes).

I have hens that are 6 years old that are still producing and in this system because of health, vigor and type. I have one old cock that is now 10 that I still use. Just remember, to always breed those old birds to youth.

This works for me. If you can use it great. Modify it and make it your own; that's what breeding is all about.

Just remember there are other systems of breeding that are good too. But once you start using one and it's working the stick too it.

Well, slow and steady sounds good to me. Marsh Daisies are a breed that used to be known for their longevity and good ones should still be keeping their egg production going strong through their fourth and fifth laying season. So I think this breeding system is one that would suit them well. Thanks again for taking the time to explain it in such detail.

Back
Top Bottom