Question about Broken Toenail and Keeping it Clean

Peepsi

Songster
Apr 1, 2017
Utah
So I had my first medical emergency last night. When I walked into the coop, there was spots of blood in various places. Turns out my Silver-Laced Wyandotte, Salt, somehow broke a toenail. Half of it broke off, exposing a tiny tip of skin that was bleeding (imagine when your fingernail breaks right down to the tip of your finger, making it bleed).

I scooped Salt up, rushed her inside, wiped the wound clean with an anti-septic wipe, poured Iodine on it, and put a clear band-aid on it. I then returned her to the coop. To my surprise, Salt's three roommates (Pepper, Thyme and Falcon) zeroed in on that bandaid, and starting pecking at it, trying to get it off. I quickly scooped Salt up again, brought her back inside, and took the band-aid off. The wound was red, so I decided to spray Blue-Kote on it to help hide the red. (I never knew Blu-Kote sprayed so messy. I ended up with a purple hand, and two purple dish towels).

I put Salt back outside, with the Blu-Kote on her toe. Thankfully, the other hens did not lunge at her toe this time. However, I do have a question now:

Question: Is it ok to allow Salt to walk around in the coop with a broken toenail and no bandage covering it? Will it get infected? The chickens walk in poop all the time (they make no effort to step around it), so I'm concerned about germs getting into the wound. The wound is superficial, but the skin is still broken and is an entry point for germs. What can I do to keep the wound from getting infected? I plan on cleaning it daily, and applying neosporin, but is there anything else I should be doing?

I would just keep an eye on it, and spray the BluKote on it again. The neosporin will only become a magnet for dirt. I would not put any bandaids on it, but if it concerns you, you can confine her to a dog crate with a clean towel for a day or two. My hen who broke her toenail jumping up to a chainlink fence did not get anything on hers. They eill be sore for a week or two.

So I had my first medical emergency last night. When I walked into the coop, there was spots of blood in various places. Turns out my Silver-Laced Wyandotte, Salt, somehow broke a toenail. Half of it broke off, exposing a tiny tip of skin that was bleeding (imagine when your fingernail breaks right down to the tip of your finger, making it bleed).

I scooped Salt up, rushed her inside, wiped the wound clean with an anti-septic wipe, poured Iodine on it, and put a clear band-aid on it. I then returned her to the coop. To my surprise, Salt's three roommates (Pepper, Thyme and Falcon) zeroed in on that bandaid, and starting pecking at it, trying to get it off. I quickly scooped Salt up again, brought her back inside, and took the band-aid off. The wound was red, so I decided to spray Blue-Kote on it to help hide the red. (I never knew Blu-Kote sprayed so messy. I ended up with a purple hand, and two purple dish towels).

I put Salt back outside, with the Blu-Kote on her toe. Thankfully, the other hens did not lunge at her toe this time. However, I do have a question now:

Question: Is it ok to allow Salt to walk around in the coop with a broken toenail and no bandage covering it? Will it get infected? The chickens walk in poop all the time (they make no effort to step around it), so I'm concerned about germs getting into the wound. The wound is superficial, but the skin is still broken and is an entry point for germs. What can I do to keep the wound from getting infected? I plan on cleaning it daily, and applying neosporin, but is there anything else I should be doing?
Blu-Kote is anti- bacterial and will help keep the site clean. So no, nothing additional should be needed. One of my boys lost his spur and was was limping quite noticeably, some Blu-Kote with a few follow on sprays did wonderfully for him and in keeping the others from attacking the site.

20191006_160052.jpg
All we did was gently wipe any excess tissue away then spray. Reapplied a day later, then just observed. Awesome stuff. Actually, this pic was during the initial spraying, hence the blue stain on his foot.

Back
Top Bottom