Question about broodies eggs

Ducklove334

Off to another pond
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
Virginia
ok, so our Broody was due to hatch babies on the 22nd, all day no action, yesterday no action, and this morning I havn't been to check, when I candled a few eggs it looked like they were doing well, dark mass on one side, on the other a HUGE aircell, they don't stink, and non have busted, she's still on the nest, and as protective as ever, when should we give up, and pull her, as she's getting rather thin, or will she give up after a few days, if she'd sit for 4 more weeks, I'd give her some mallard eggs, but thats too much strain on her body.

what should I do if there are no peeps by tonight?

Wait another day or two. Could you have counted the days wrong? A day or two more won't make much difference and you would be just sick if they were about to hatch and you discarded them. What do you plan to do with your broody if this is a failed hatch? Can you get her a couple of feed store chicks?

that I'm not entirely sure of, there are still no action from the eggs,

I'm sure she started sitting on the 1st,..she layed her last egg like the 27th of feb. then she stayed in the pen til the first, then the first she got on the eggs, as as been there since, i noticed that she didn't pluck chest feathers like people say they do, and her nest isn't very impressive, maybe thats why the babies aren't doing anything.

the feed store in town, and the TSC doesn't get baby chicks in, the one in fburg isn't getting any til the 1st. but I dunno if anyone would take me there, thats 8 more days too, I'd give her a couple of our older chicks, but they're pretty much imprinted on me.

I don't know enough about what you see when you candle, so I'd also give her a few more days, just in case they're slower than average to hatch, or if you miscounted her set.

If they don't hatch you could give her new eggs. I've done that with some hens and didn't have any problems. But if you're concerned about her condition you can just remove the eggs & let her return to her flock.

She may go back on her own, or you may have to put her back in the coop. She may readjust all by herself, or you may have to put her in a broody-buster cage, with airflow below, to break her spell.

You could try to give her day-old chicks to adopt, some hens will happily accept them, others will not. Be sure to have a Plan B for the chicks in case she won't take them, you'll have to raise them in a brooder.

Back
Top Bottom