1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about Brooding Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GeneviaJ, Mar 23, 2011.

1. GeneviaJ

GeneviaJ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    Hello,

I got 2 Khaki Campbell ducklings today. Currently they are in the same brooder as the chicks. Is it ok for them to be mixed for the first week or so? Also, does anyone have good websites for duck raising info? I haven't been able to find as much info about raising ducks as I have chicks.

2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I plan on going to the library one of these days. Sometimes its just nice to have a book in hand...

3. HamandLily

HamandLily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    England, UK
  4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:No it is not good idea to keep duclings and chickens together.

Will not harm ducks but is bad for chicks.

5. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I am assuming that the above post is referring to the mess that ducks make. With water and their poos....it would be bad for a chick to get wet and chilled

6. Paintedhorsegirl

Paintedhorsegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    I raised about a dozen chickens and 7 ducks together and they were all fine...I never had any issues...i have one big happy flock, they free range every day and Ive noticed my rooster protects the ducks (male & female) as if they were his hens. I also saw my rooster mate with a duck the other day, that was a little weird..[​IMG]
    Ive thought about seperating the chickens and ducks but I think they like being together:)
    The ducks do make a big mess with their water but I keep a big tub of water in the yard for them and just drinking water in the hen house..They manage not to mess in the hen house...Be careful not to let the ducklings get into too much water too young, last year I had a duck( fully grown with all feathers) get water logged and died. I never even knew that could happen she got to wet and didnt know enough to get out of the pond apparently...At least this is what i was told by a guy who raises ducks...
    Goodluck with your ducks and chicks:D

7. CountryGal517

CountryGal517 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2014
    Georgetown, KY
    I too will be raising 2 welsh harlequins ducklings with 3 golden comets, any suggestions on the water control?

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by