Question about Brooding Ducks

GeneviaJ

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 14, 2011
Hello,

I got 2 Khaki Campbell ducklings today. Currently they are in the same brooder as the chicks. Is it ok for them to be mixed for the first week or so? Also, does anyone have good websites for duck raising info? I haven't been able to find as much info about raising ducks as I have chicks.

I raised about a dozen chickens and 7 ducks together and they were all fine...I never had any issues...i have one big happy flock, they free range every day and Ive noticed my rooster protects the ducks (male & female) as if they were his hens. I also saw my rooster mate with a duck the other day, that was a little weird..
hmm.png

Ive thought about seperating the chickens and ducks but I think they like being together:)
The ducks do make a big mess with their water but I keep a big tub of water in the yard for them and just drinking water in the hen house..They manage not to mess in the hen house...Be careful not to let the ducklings get into too much water too young, last year I had a duck( fully grown with all feathers) get water logged and died. I never even knew that could happen she got to wet and didnt know enough to get out of the pond apparently...At least this is what i was told by a guy who raises ducks...
Goodluck with your ducks and chicks:D

I raised about a dozen chickens and 7 ducks together and they were all fine...I never had any issues...i have one big happy flock, they free range every day and Ive noticed my rooster protects the ducks (male & female) as if they were his hens. I also saw my rooster mate with a duck the other day, that was a little weird..
hmm.png

Ive thought about seperating the chickens and ducks but I think they like being together:)
The ducks do make a big mess with their water but I keep a big tub of water in the yard for them and just drinking water in the hen house..They manage not to mess in the hen house...Be careful not to let the ducklings get into too much water too young, last year I had a duck( fully grown with all feathers) get water logged and died. I never even knew that could happen she got to wet and didnt know enough to get out of the pond apparently...At least this is what i was told by a guy who raises ducks...
Goodluck with your ducks and chicks:D
I too will be raising 2 welsh harlequins ducklings with 3 golden comets, any suggestions on the water control?

Back
Top Bottom