Question about broody and placing eggs

Okay it did not work moving her and I can't move the nesting box as it is attached to the coop. She is currently on day two of sitting on fertile eggs and the problem is that the other hens are laying in the same box that she is in and then she puts those eggs underneath her and I have to disturb her (and get pecked) everytime I want to move those eggs out. How do I keep the others from laying in that nesting box? I am afraid if I try to move her again she will just refuse to go back on the eggs. I am so baffled as the last time we had this happen the hen we had then just let us move her and the eggs without a problem. I guess this is why this has been the one who has managed to escape the foxes and raccoons and feral cats that have managed to destroy most of my original flock.

Michelle

Yes I see your problem, Can you try to wrap some chicken wire between her box and the others to stop them getting in.
You would have to make a new nest for the others. I had to do this once,
Try and perservere with making her a "nursery" which is confined in the safety of the coop.
good luck
Helen

Well I got lucky and my very creative husband has fixed this problem. We have them in a large coop with two very distinct and seperate nesting boxes and so what he did was he put a wooden wall up between the two sides of the coop and made a small swing out door above one of the panels so that I can get through. Now she is completely seperate with her own area, food and water and the others still have another nesting box to use and the other half of the coop. She is still high up in the air but we will have to hope for the best once these little chicks are hatched and are ready to come out of the box. Maybe I will move some sort of crate or something in there at that time so that once they get down she can then keep them in there while they are little. Thanks for the advice.

Michelle

well done, that is great, perhaps she will readily move to a safer spot once they arrive.
She wont want them falling down either so perhaps
start making up a nursery pen before they hatch.
This is precisely what I have been doing for the last couple of afternoons.
Lots of wire cuts and scratches, its a labour of love!!
Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom