Question about broody hen on eggs

Nariah01

Songster
Apr 17, 2016
I have a broody hen that seemed dedicated so I gave her 7 eggs two days ago. We would like to leave her to brood with the flock as that is easiest. But I am having problems keeping her on the right nest. For the week that I tested her to see if she was serious she stayed in the same nest box, so I thought she would stay there once I gave her the eggs to hatch. However since the last two days I have seen her in the wrong nest twice. I don't know how long she was off the eggs for, can't have been more then a few hours. Why would she all the sudden not want to stay on the right nest? Also how long can she be off the eggs each day before we lose them?

I have a broody hen that seemed dedicated so I gave her 7 eggs two days ago. We would like to leave her to brood with the flock as that is easiest. But I am having problems keeping her on the right nest. For the week that I tested her to see if she was serious she stayed in the same nest box, so I thought she would stay there once I gave her the eggs to hatch. However since the last two days I have seen her in the wrong nest twice. I don't know how long she was off the eggs for, can't have been more then a few hours. Why would she all the sudden not want to stay on the right nest? Also how long can she be off the eggs each day before we lose them?
She is getting off the nest to eat/poop/etc and when she comes back and another hen is probably in her nest so she gets in another one?? Common problem when left with the flock. If you have read many of my post---I move all mine to a private hatching pen---I have No Problems.

She is getting off the nest to eat/poop/etc and when she comes back and another hen is probably in her nest so she gets in another one?? Common problem when left with the flock. If you have read many of my post---I move all mine to a private hatching pen---I have No Problems.

Thanks for the reply, I know why she is getting off the nest I've had broodies in the past I've just never given them eggs to hatch. And normally I agree if another hen is in there, but today when I found her in the wrong box no one was in her, and there were no new eggs from another hen. I know most move there hens but I don't have an area that I can easily move her too.

Thanks for the reply, I know why she is getting off the nest I've had broodies in the past I've just never given them eggs to hatch. And normally I agree if another hen is in there, but today when I found her in the wrong box no one was in her, and there were no new eggs from another hen. I know most move there hens but I don't have an area that I can easily move her too.
I Understand, but you can not wire her in the nesting box---well that would not be any fun. Did you have fake eggs/eggs under her for the week before you set her? If not she might not be comfortable with the eggs under her---maybe a dozen would feel better/maybe freshen up the nest?? If you decide to try a dozen or so eggs than I would discard the other eggs being you do not Know how long she has been on/off them.

She had a couple fake eggs under her before I set her. Maybe if she keeps going to the wrong nest I'll try changing things up. I guess I just assumed she would imprint or know the right nest or something. Especially since one of my other broodies that I've broken in the past always returned to the same nest, even if someone else was in it she would wait. I guess all broodies are different.

I guess all broodies are different.
They sure are!!

What makes it even worse is for her to set there for 15 or 18 days then you find her on the wrong nest with all the set-eggs Cold/dead. That's No Fun. I had it to happen years back---I do not chance that anymore. Good Luck

Thanks, at least I am learning which ones are good broodies and which aren't. I have hope this hatch might still work out but we shall see if this can be salvaged.

Back
Top Bottom