Question about broodyness

chixaregreat41

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 1, 2013
bruce mines
Will a hen go broody even if shes not laying yet? I have a hen with feathered feet so she would be a good mother because she had silkie in her, she has not began laying yet but i wanted to know if she will still go broody because we have an order of chicks coming and we wanted a hen to sit on a few because we wont have power for 10 days straight and we NEED a hen but shes the only one that would most likely go broody because we only have red sex links and the silkie cross so i dont know what to do? Please answer anything will help

I've heard of them going broody whortly after starting to lay, but never of one going broody before she had ever laid an egg. ore often they don't go broody til the next spring, I think, if they ever do. Broodiness has been bred out of a lot of them, to increase egg production.

Will a hen go broody even if shes not laying yet? I have a hen with feathered feet so she would be a good mother because she had silkie in her, she has not began laying yet but i wanted to know if she will still go broody because we have an order of chicks coming and we wanted a hen to sit on a few because we wont have power for 10 days straight and we NEED a hen but shes the only one that would most likely go broody because we only have red sex links and the silkie cross so i dont know what to do? Please answer anything will help

Oooohhh. I'm not too experienced, but my gut is that this is NOT a good idea.
hmm.png

Here's why;

1.) She has not even started laying yet, hence she probably does not have the right balance of hormones to have the urge to brood.
2.) You have never known her to go broody before. Even though she has silky in her, that does not mean she will go broody.
3.) Even if she was to go broody, she may not accept the chicks. I have heard of people placing chicks under broody hens, and the hen killing or rejecting the babies.

But, you never know. Maybe try keeping her separate (but in full view of the flock, of course) in a smallish cage or crate with her own food and water, and a cozy nest with some "dummy eggs" in it. Everyone has a different opinion on this, but why not give it a whirl? Try and make it "her idea", lol.

I'd definitely have a back up plan for the chicks though.

The best of luck to you!

Okay thanks everyone we have a genorator that will hopefully power a brooder i havent ever tried the broody hens for 5 years now i have just put them un a brooder but powers out so i will try out our generator and we also have 40 chicks were hatching in the spring too so its better if they have alot of space well thanks everyone

My chickens are 7 months old. All are laying. I suddenly noticed that one black one is sitting on the nest a lot and this morning when she got up to eat and drink she was clucking like a mother hen.

Is this a sign she is broody? What do I do about it? There is no rooster.

Any advice about a broody 7 mth old? She is just sitting there day in and day out. Is she eating? She doesn't get off the nest when I come in with treats.

The eggs aren't fertilized. Will she snap out of it?

Hello???? Anyone out there? Still asking about broody 7 month old. How long does this last? Eggs aren't fertilized so it's a lost cause.

My chickens are 7 months old. All are laying. I suddenly noticed that one black one is sitting on the nest a lot and this morning when she got up to eat and drink she was clucking like a mother hen.

Is this a sign she is broody? What do I do about it? There is no rooster.
Yes, you have a broody on your hands. Broodiness is driven by hormones. These hormones do not know that the eggs are not fertilized. All this hen knows is that she wants to hatch eggs. She will set on nothing if she has too. There are methods of breaking broodies....keeping them in a cage suspended off the floor to help cool off the brood patch...dunking her in cold water to cool off the brood patch, (not recommended this time of year being cold)...you are trying to lower her temperature which will help get her out of her broody ways... I have never had any luck stopping a really determined broody. The can get really depressed and listless. I found that letting them do their thing in the nest box, (and don't let her set on any eggs), many times they give up after a week or two and come off the nest as if nothing has happened. Every bird is different however. You will need to experiment in what works well for you and her.

Good luck with your broody!

Thanks TwoCrows. I do take the eggs from her. I feel sorry for her though. She clucks like a mother hen and scolds me when I take the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom