Question about Canker ... Again

CalBickieMomma

Crowing
Jul 27, 2019
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Hello fellow chicken people!
I have a hen (3 year old Barred Rock) with what I'm 90% sure is canker. Here's what I know so far:
1.) She has some nasty, cheese-like gunk in her mouth I at first thought was wet pox.
2.) Her breath smells bad (almost like old tuna...? Hard to describe, but it is unpleasant).
3.) I suspect she's had this for a while because she'd randomly shake her head violently, but I never thought much of it because she's overall healthy and laying regularly (I thought it was just a tick of hers).
4.) When I finally thought to look in her mouth, I saw the gunk at the back of her throat and a little bit on the roof of her mouth (I'm sorry I don't have a picture, but it looks just like the yellowish-green/black stuff I've seen in all the pictures of canker).
5.) I came here and scoured the canker pages for advice and tried removing as much of it as I could (it's in a bad spot and hard to reach and she fights me hard when I try to pull it out. I even ordered a blemish remover like someone here suggested and used plastic tweezers to pick it out in little bits, never getting all of it. I tried to do this every other or every few days for a week or two, taking out as much as I could without stressing her too much).
6.) I managed to get some API General Cure with metronidazole in it (couldn't find Aqua Zole tablets anywhere). I've been treating her with that for about five days and I'm not sure it's working.
7.) I took her to the vet on Wednesday (today is Friday) and he was able to remove some of the necrotic tissue after mildly sedating her, but he couldn't get it all. I haven't tried to remove any more of it yet because I'm sure she's still a bit sore from the procedure at the vet.
8.) The vet did look at the tissue under a microscope but couldn't see any of the protozoa that cause canker (which he said wasn't surprising because her accumulation was pretty thick). He could send it off to the lab but it would be another $100-$200 on top of the current vet bill, so I opted out since we're both pretty sure it's canker).
9.) I ordered ronidazole and carnidazole and it's on the way. I also ordered some acidified copper sulfate for the flock's water.
10.) Other than a large bump/swelling on the lower left side of her throat from the canker and slightly watery eyes, my Phoebe is acting completely normal (preening, pacing and irritated when I have her in the dog crate inside, eating (though it is a bit harder for her to swallow than normal, so I'm making sure she gets crumble and I make her scrambled eggs)). She even laid an egg after she got home from the vet and laid another one today. Her poop is normal and her weight is good (just over 7lbs).

SO, here's what I'm curious about:
1.) Should I keep trying to remove more canker tissue? Not sure if I'll ever be able to get all of it since it's so deep and I'm afraid I'm doing more damage than good.
2.) I have tincture of iodine. Is it safe to dip a Q-tip in it and dab the canker area in her throat? Will it help if I apply it directly to the canker, or should I remove what I can and then dab the bleeding area with the iodine?
3.) Has anyone out there had any luck with any of the medications in curing canker, and did some of them take more than a week to show results? Will the necrotic tissue eventually go away/will the swelling eventually go down if I get her on the right medication? I'm just worried about it impeding her ability to eat and even breathe if it gets that bad.

That's all I can think of so far. I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. Thank you for any advice you might have to offer!

I havnt dealt with Canker (protozoa,) but I have dealt with yeast infections.
Canker is contagious to other birds via feeders and waters, birds are carriers for life. It will require long term treatments after it's under control.
Once you get the Ronidazole, I would try that medication first. It's a safe treatment for birds, and if you dont see some improvement within a week, then it's time for the big guns...Acidified Copper Sulfate.
Acidified Copper Sulfate requires a 10 day treatment for yeast infection and it will wipe out everything internally.
After treatment with ACS, probiotics are required to restore gut bacteria. I use Pro-Bios as a top dressing on feed for a few days.
If you decide to use the Acidified Copper Sulfate after using the Ronidazole, post back here and let me know and I'll give you dosing instructions for the ACS.

Canker is contagious to other birds via feeders and waters, birds are carriers for life. It will require long term treatments after it's under control.
Once you get the Ronidazole, I would try that medication first. It's a safe treatment for birds, and if you dont see some improvement within a week, then it's time for the big guns...Acidified Copper Sulfate.
Acidified Copper Sulfate requires a 10 day treatment for yeast infection and it will wipe out everything internally.
After treatment with ACS, probiotics are required to restore gut bacteria. I use Pro-Bios as a top dressing on feed for a few days.
If you decide to use the Acidified Copper Sulfate after using the Ronidazole, post back here and let me know and I'll give you dosing instructions for the ACS.
Thank you! This sounds like a good plan 🤗.

Mini update on my hen, Phoebe...

My girl is still struggling with what I believe is canker. This morning I tried digging more of the canker out (because she was showing discomfort the night before when she tried to swallow). I got out a good chunk and several little chunks, but there is still so much in there :(.

I also stopped giving her Ronidazole since she didn't seem to be improving after three days and switched her over to Emtryl (saw a post here earlier about using Emtryl for canker). She seemed pretty lethargic most of the morning and I was afraid maybe I poked her too much trying to remove the canker (she struggles hard), but she perked up for a little bit in the late afternoon and even ate some finely chopped hard boiled egg. Now she's back to being more lethargic, but it is getting close to roosting time here.

While I was giving her some lap snuggle time, I was listening to her breathing and it sounded kind of bubbly (of course my first thought was I managed to force some of the canker ick down her wind pipe because that's where my mind always goes). I checked her crop on instinct and massaged it a little and discovered it had some air bubbles in it. After doing a quick Google search, it seems canker is sometimes accompanied by sour crop (yay, another issue to deal with). The chicken vet can't see her until April 15th, so I'm kinda on my own for now.

I started her on the Emtryl (even applied a little paste I made with some of the powder and a little water to the canker like the post I had found earlier suggested). I also put it in her water (followed the same post's suggestion of 3/4 teaspoon per 2 quarts). But now I'm wondering if I should start treating her for sour crop. I can't get Nystatin here in California, it seems, or it's sold out on some of the websites I checked.

I had a chick a few years ago who had an impaction when she was just over a week old (gassy buildup in her crop) and I used Monistat 3 on her (active ingredient Miconazole Nitrate). Not sure if it cured my baby, but she did recover and the Monistat didn't seem to harm her, so I'm ready to use that on Phoebe. I'm just not sure if it is safe to mix with the Emtryl.

I also read somewhere that Acidified Copper Sulfate is sometimes used in sour crop. I don't know if it would be a good idea to give her the Emtryl and ACS since they both go in the water, or maybe try the Emtry with the Monistat for 3-5 days, then switch over to the Acidified Copper Sulfate. Sigh.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips or thoughts, please let me know, and sorry for the long post. Trying to be as thorough as possible. Thank you so much!

I think I should start giving my Phoebe water with the Acidified Copper Sulfate. She seems to have a mild case of sour crop now (her crop is kind of gassy and she’s not interested in eating much). Also, I’m reluctant to try taking out more of the canker because I fear I might accidentally force some of the liquid in her crop into her airway when she struggles against me. I’m guessing the ACS will wipe out both issues, hopefully…? I saw posted somewhere that I should add 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. Is that a correct dosage? I’ll probably end up mixing up 1/8 tsp in a 1.5 liter water bottle (would that be safe)? I’ll keep the water with Emtryl in it available for the rest of the day, then give her plain water tonight and start her on the ACS water tomorrow. Thanks for all your help!

Here are the instructions for using Acidified Copper Sulfate:
Mix 1/4 level teaspoon into one gallon jug of water. Use a one gallon plastic container or plastic jug. Do not use a metal container.
Shake the container well. Then add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to the mixture and shake well.
Then put the mixture into a plastic poultry waterer for your bird to drink for a 24 hour period.
Then dump the mixture and make a fresh batch every 24 hours each day for no more than 10 days.

Stop all other medications when giving the ACS. I dont believe that the ACS will burn where the scabs were removed in the mouth because the mixture is highly diluted with water and a small amount of ACS is used.

Here are the instructions for using Acidified Copper Sulfate:
Mix 1/4 level teaspoon into one gallon jug of water. Use a one gallon plastic container or plastic jug. Do not use a metal container.
Shake the container well. Then add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to the mixture and shake well.
Then put the mixture into a plastic poultry waterer for your bird to drink for a 24 hour period.
Then dump the mixture and make a fresh batch every 24 hours each day for no more than 10 days.

Stop all other medications when giving the ACS. I dont believe that the ACS will burn where the scabs were removed in the mouth because the mixture is highly diluted with water and a small amount of ACS is used.
Thank you! I don't know if I have a gallon jug available, but I'll look. I sure hope this does the trick. She's still acting pretty normal, but I can tell she isn't feeling 100%. The fact that she isn't too interested in eating has me a little worried. Anyway, all the best and I'll let you know if she perks up. Thanks again!

You can mix up a quart of liquid, just divide the 1/4 of a tsp by 4. That is about a gram if you have a kitchen scale, but you can eyeball it. Or take a 1/4 of a tsp of the ACS and add it to water, and divide that by 4, and add it to the quart of water.

Back
Top Bottom