Question about Chicken Breed

ACabrera

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 17, 2014
My hen began laying eggs about 3 weeks ago, but no signs of brooding. I've left many of her eggs in her nesting box to encourage her to hatch them. I know many breeds do not go broody, but I think my hen is a buff orpington which are known to go broody. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can encourage her go broody? Is she truly a buff orpington? She looks darker than the pictures I've seen of buff orpingtons online. Here are some pics.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! She actually looks like a Red Sex Link, they go by various names depending on the hatchery/ breeder (Red Star, Golden Comet, ISA Brown etc) they are crosses bred to lay a lot of eggs. They very very seldom go broody.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Kelsie X2 She is not a Buff Orp. Broodiness is controlled by hormones. You can't stimulate them into laying until their internal hormones tell them it is time to raise a family. You can make all the conditions right for them, but ultimately it is controlled by their internal mechanisms.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

Red sex link...great. From what I've read online, they rarely go broody. She is a great layer. Thank you for the responses.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You hen is definitely a Red Sex Link. I've raised them for years and as the other members have indicated, they rarely go broody. They have been bred for sheer egg production and they are egg laying machines. You will get loads of eggs from that lady. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your RSL hen.

To make in unanimous she is a red sex link. It's true you cannot make a hen go broody. But even if you did she would not produce red sex links.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom