Question about chicken poo (eww sorry).

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, Jul 19, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Okay, we have our chickens in a large coop but maybe once or twice a week I let them free range for about an hour before bed. The only thing around is grass and woods with some weeds. Anyway, I have noticed some really dark colord poo. It reminded me of tar, and I have seen some runny brown poo too. I have no idea who it's coming from. Is that a sign of something bad, did they eat something they shouldn't have? I was going to put my roo's up on Monday (in the freezer) but now I wonder if I should wait another week to make sure the poo clears up.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Probably just from them free ranging, mine get that too from time to time.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My chicks' poo turns green & grainy after free-ranging in my yard. Sounds normal to me.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

doesn't sound abnormal, but make sure they are getting enough water...

5. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    mine have been eating wild cherries- lots of black poos

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* brown, runny poo seems to happen in Miss Chook when I feed her a lot of vegetation. She likes purslane from the yard, clover, rose petals (organic), and the leaves and seed heads off of a particular yard weed. I don't know the name of it, but it has round leaves. Oh, and young bouganvillia leaves and the blossoms off it.

7. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by