Question about chickens and dogs

My dog is a black lab/border collie cross. She weighs 70#. She is actually a bit protective of the chickens. She was interested in the chicks at first, and she actually caught on on her own that she should not hurt them. She hunts down rabbits and eats them. But, she instinctively knew not to harm the chickens. Now, she goes right into the coop at times. However, it does scare the birds, so I discourage it. I also have some "grand-dogs" (My grandchildren are here frequently and bring their dogs with.). The mutt weighs about 30 lbs - has some sheltie and maybe beagle in him. He is awful with the chickens and got in and started killing the cornish cross that we were raising for meat. Fortunately, he did this on the day before we were to butcher, so I just got out the axe and butchered one severely damaged bird. We have since spent a week training him with the shock collar. He stays away from the birds, but I don't trust him. Fortunately, my egg layers are in a very secure fence. The chihauhau is the one that is scaring the birds the most. However, if he got in with them, I think he'd be the one in trouble. In the past, we mixed free range chickens and dogs. Our golden retriever would bring them back if they strayed too far. They were totally fine, but I thought they might have a heart attack! Our mutt dog - part beagle, part cockapoo and who knows what - was actually a help with the birds. I could put day old chicks out in the sun with him and he would take good care of them all day. He was black, and the chicks would climb in his fur and he would actually brood them. He herded them to stay within a few feet of himself and moved them into the shade when it was too hot. I would just collect the chicks in the evening and put them in the brooder. He weighed about 50 lbs.

My Ruby, an Aussie, runs loose with the chickens. The only time she even bothers with them is when a roo runs down a hen - then Ruby runs up and chases him off. If the roo is gentle and the hen doesn't complain, Ruby leaves them alone. She has gotten a little curious about chicks, and the sight of this 50+ pound dog running for her life with a mama hen at her feet is priceless!

Back
Top Bottom