Question about chickens and puppie(German Shepard )

Eps32

Songster
Dec 22, 2015
North Carolina
I just got a new puppy German Shepard . And I been bringing her out with the free range chickens . So she could get used to them and she hasn't gone after them at all yet. They even come up to her and say who's this very curious. My other dogs get along fine with the chickens always have. But they are smaller dogs. Anyone have any tips for keeping a bigger dog from deciding to eat chicken when she grows up? I want her to be able to play on the farm and protect the chickens as well. Is judt bringing her out and socializing her with the chickens the best way? Any tips from people with big dogs that get along with there flock would be great .

Just keep socializing her with them. And discourage any chasing or starring. We have ten dogs of all sizes and the neighbor has "free range chickens" which apparently means they live in my yard. I do not want my dogs killing any other animal and it took some time but now they don't even pay attention to the free range chickens.

Two years of oversight ahead. Concentrate on control of pup. Avoid handling chickens around dog although having birds come to you and dog OK. Encourage dog's interest in other things, especially when chickens around. Be on your toes when dog is part of a group our you have a weather change (change to cooler weather).

I have used hunting dogs but switching in part over to English Shepherds. See threads below for accounts.

German Pointers
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/426408/planned-poultry-guarding-dog

English Shepherd (ongoing effort where we are in middle of most difficult phase)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1008645/english-shepherd-as-poultry-guardian

Cute pup! Keep it on leash. Utilize a drag line once you decide to allow a little more freedom around birds. Teach basic obedience to great reliability as a way of instilling impulse control. Really work the "leave it" command to great reliability with other objects and food items then transfer that behavior to include chickens. My command is different from how some teach it. For me, "leave it" means "don't pay attention to it, don't move toward it, don't even think about taking it, you will never be allowed to get it and if you try you will be punished." It is not the "leave the cookie alone until I release you to get it but all the while you are really thinking about eating the cookie" trick that some people call "leave it".

Cute pup! Keep it on leash. Utilize a drag line once you decide to allow a little more freedom around birds. Teach basic obedience to great reliability as a way of instilling impulse control. Really work the "leave it" command to great reliability with other objects and food items then transfer that behavior to include chickens. My command is different from how some teach it. For me, "leave it" means "don't pay attention to it, don't move toward it, don't even think about taking it, you will never be allowed to get it and if you try you will be punished." It is not the "leave the cookie alone until I release you to get it but all the while you are really thinking about eating the cookie" trick that some people call "leave it".
Great advice!^^^

GS are smart dogs, and can be great dogs with a smart keeper/trainer.

Clear and consistent training, especially in the first 12 months...remembering it takes a 2-3 years for them to truly mature.
If your other dogs are well trained, that should help the pup learn.
Gosh she's adorable!

Absolutely adorable!

You've gotten some excellent advice. I have 3 dogs, an Olde English Bulldogge, a Doberman Pinscher and a Catahoula/Australian Shepherd mix. They are all chicken safe, though the chicken feed is not :/ I took lots of time and training, but was worth every second! They do a great job of looking after our chickens and pigs and my Dobie is (surprisingly) very effective at pest control.

Good luck with your little cutie!

Thanks for all the tips guys. I have been already starting her trying she's sitting a 9 weeks on command most of the time. Every mourning I bring her out and we let the chickens out to free range together. She doing great thanks for all the great comments.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I have been already starting her trying she's sitting a 9 weeks on command most of the time. Every mourning I bring her out and we let the chickens out to free range together. She doing great thanks for all the great comments.
Wait..what?!

@Eps32 is the same person as @RocketMan32 ?!?

Ya for some reason I made an account on the mobile app. But could not upload photos. So I went on safari on my computer and it made me create another account. I don't know if I created two by accident or what happened. But I can upload photos from safari but not the mobile app.

Back
Top Bottom