Question about chicks

Joshischicken

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 18, 2007
I was wondering i had a hen who hatched out 9 chicks yesterday and for some reason she doesnt want them she pecks at them and chases them away will they live if i put them in a brooder with a light food and water?

Too bad about your hen. It is so much easier to let them take care of the chicks.

As long as they are healthy to begin with they will survive just fine in a brooder with a constant supply of fresh chick starter and water.

Make sure that they can't get into their water and drown - it should be in a shallow container with marbles or something in it so that they can drink between the marbles.

Also, pine shavings (never cedar) with a layer of paper towels over it is the best litter to begin with. After they have grown a little bit - a week or two - you can just use the shavings with no paper towels.

Use a heat lamp that gives them an area to go to for warmth. Make sure to situate it so that they can get away from it if they get too warm and watch their behavior to make sure your temp is right.

Good luck and I'm sure they'll be fine!

Lori

Back
Top Bottom