Question about DE

chickfan

Songster
10 Years
Oct 12, 2009
Leander, TX
Didn't I read on the board that DE helps to control odor in a coop and run? DH doesn't think that is right. If it does, then I'm wondering if it is safe to put a bit in a brooder with chicks about 19 days old? I have 8 chicks and two ducks, and the odor is a bit - er - overwhelming! I use pine shavings for the bedding. I have done this once before and don't remember the odor being as bad. I do wonder if the ducks poop is what smells so strong. If DE does help with odor, I have access to some.
Thanks!

If you have ducks in your brooder, that explains the smell. lol They are messy and very wet, which is likely causing the odor. I found that when brooding ducks, the litter needs to be cleaned a lot more often than with chicks. I doubt the DE will help much, since it is too much moisture for it to contend with.

Thank you! I raised one duck a year ago, and never noticed an odor, but then I changed her bedding daily. The two ducks I have now, as I said, are with the chicks, and did wonder if the ducks were causing it to smell worse than when I raised chicks (with no ducks) last year. I'm glad to know that is what it is. Good thing ducks are so cute, eh? Otherwise.....would we put up with that odor? LOL

If you use DE make absolutely sure that it is labeled as feed grade DE. If it is not labeled as such don't use it. Pool grade DE is nasty stuff for you and the birds.

I did know about the food grade. I had made a special note to myself about that. Thanks for the reminder though!
Haven't people been posting that DE in the coop and run help to control the odor? I can't go back and find a post about it now, but I know I have read that it helps with odor, helps to keep flies out, etc. I wondered if it would help with the odor in the brooder, and if it was even safe to put in the brooder in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom