Question about deep litter method for ducks

Ingavid

Chirping
May 30, 2020
I read that with deep litter method I should have to clean out the bedding (I'm using straw) every few months. The water and feed will be outside the coop. However, if I don't clean out the poop daily, won't they always be sleeping on straw that is damp? I have 2 Pekins 4 wks old. Their coop is 2x4 feet, attached to a run. Currently they are still indoors.

I use the deep litter method. In the spring and summer it stays fairly dry. I usually cleaned it out 2-3 times a year. I had a really wet windy winter this year and had to replace the bedding early. Unless it is really wet, I can top it off with a good layer of straw and it stays fairly dry. Proper ventilation is definitely key to keeping it dry. Also the more square footage per duck you have, will also keep it dryer.

I also have a good layer of straw in their cover run. Mine free range majority of the time. But I have flood irrigation on my property. I am rather impressed how dry the top layer of straw stays in the run, considering I flood the area with water about once every two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom