Question about Door for Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jaimslee4u, Sep 24, 2009.

1. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Should I put a door on my chicken's coop?

Smaller coop about the size of a dog house with the run off of that. The chickens are still a bit young so they stay in the enclosed run all day. The door/hole they come in & out of is in the middle of the coop. They seem to sit right on the edge of it instead of snuggling inside. Is this going to be too drafty for them in the winter? Should I put an actual door that can be closed?

2. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Where are you from that will determine if you need to have a door or create some sort of entrance to stop a direct draft.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah...it really depends on where you live. If you're in a warm all year round area...probably not (although it's safer to be able to lock them up when needed). But if you're in an area that gets cold, you probably will want one.

4. nwmud

nwmud Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Everett, WA
    i would add a door - for safety reasons. if you have critters arround your place... being able to lock them up is needed.

5. spotman47

spotman47 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    palmyra wi
    I 'd definetly put a door on it was'nt a good day when Mr coon showed up and raised h--l not very fun picking up your feathery friends with a pitch fork the next day![​IMG]

6. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    We live in Maine... so I guess a slight renovation is in store before winter, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by