Question about Duck Eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DanceswLabs, Aug 11, 2010.

1. DanceswLabs

DanceswLabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    I am new to chickens, and I am planning to get ducks soon. I want to get a few Indian Runners, because I had heard that duck eggs are wonderful. Well, last night, I ordered a book on my kindle called "Raising Ducks and Geese" by John Vivian. It is a Storey Country wisdom Bulletin. The author of this booklet didn't seem to think that duck eggs were very tasty. He said they used them for baking, but that some can even have a fishy taste from ducks that root around in ponds. Has anyone read this booklet? What do you all think about the taste of duck eggs?

Jeany

2. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Wow... That's not a very good perspective on duck eggs to give. Though, it certainly is subjective and some people do think differently of them. But then, they do the same for fresh chicken eggs.

Basically goes like this..

Store bought chicken eggs -> flavorless rubber.
    Fresh chicken eggs -> smooth, stronger flavor.
    Duck eggs -> rich, even stronger flavor.

But I would not go so far as to describe them like that.

I'd suggest you track down an egg or two and try for yourself.. They are great for baking, for sure.

3. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    The first time I had ducks----years ago----I kept them in the same pen with my chickens. When thetey started laying, I just thought I had really HUGE chicken eggs (I didn't know that ducks laid one egg at a time like chickens do, I thought they laid the whole batch at once LOL). Anyway, we were happily eating the duck eggs along with the chicken eggs, and they were wonderful----never fishy tasting. My ducks did not have access to a pond, though, just a wading pool. I finally figured out they were duck eggs when we moved the ducks to a different pen. However, I found out that I am severly allergic to duck eggs----the hard way. I had gotten the "flu" 3 different times in 3 weeks, and each time it was worse-----throwing up, diarrhea, and terrible stomach cramps (by the third time, I couldn't even get off the couch for at least 24 hours). I put 2 and 2 together, and realised I was only getting sick after eating the duck eggs----I did have some one more time to be sure (Ugh!). Oh, by the way, noone else in my family got sick----my hubby was worried the eggs were contaminated or something. I think it's strange that I'm only allergic to the duck eggs, and not the chicken eggs. But, my kids really love the tste and size of duck eggs-----three boys, ages 19, 15, and 11![​IMG]

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Egg allergies can go both ways. People with chicken egg allergies may be fine with duck eggs, and vice versa.

Another thing to keep in mind with store bought eggs that they are coming from laying batteries with 24 hours of light for maximum production. For feed they use the cheapest they can get by with, yet still balancing maximum production. They mix in ground up fish gut and bones they get for almost nothing from fish processing plants. Medicated feed and even medicated water is supplied 24 hours to avoid health issues in those batteries. So by the time you get your eggs you can bet they are full with medication you don't want in your body. Did I mention that they feed Marygold flower petals to get a rich orange color in those eggs. Color is so deceiving when it come to quality.

The best eggs you can get is from your own birds.

5. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Duck eggs are the most amazing tasting egg out there...........they are the best and the egg that myself and my family perfer to eat. They are smooth and tasty. And when i take them to parties other then people saying my your birds lay big eggs no one knows....

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I had 2 duck eggs this morning for breakfast. YUM YUM. They are delicious! Taste the same as chickens eggs to me.

7. baileychic

baileychic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Delavan, WI
    Regarding the taste of Duck Eggs, I was just asking my husband about this.....The conditions of the duck pen is well......quite stinky and muddy. The ducks will be laying any day now. Do I have to be worried that these eggs are contaminated or will taste bad? They just love to noodle around in the muddy water! With all the rain latley I haven't been able to get more pea gravel and sand in the run. They are extreamly happy with the living situation LOL, but it makes my stomach flip!!!

8. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    The first duck eggs I experienced were this spring's season (call ducks). I use them in baking and they are better than chicken eggs- (for pies, anyways- creamy & smooth results). When hard-boiled, they seem to be a little "firmer" but are fine in macaroni and potato salad and no noticeable difference from chicken eggs. Haven't tried them yet just as plain eggs, but will next spring. My ducks have a "pool" and plenty of dirt, bugs, etc. but lay in the nest most always and I know that they are eating only natural, healthy foods.

I think too, that it is a little of mind over matter. If no one knew where the eggs came from, nothing would be noticed, at least nothing negative.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by