1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Question About Eating Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by christmaschicken, Aug 22, 2008.

1. christmaschicken

christmaschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Christmas, Florida
    O.K. I am new to this whole egg laying thing, but my hen (Easter Egger) is finally starting to Lay, I do have a Rooster who let's say ummm visits the ladies he coups with them in the evening and I was wondering, if they are visting with him, can you still eat the Eggs?

Or is it better to not have the Rooster if we want to have the eggs for the table?[​IMG]

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Yes, they are fine to eat. Cook the first one your very favorite way to eat eggs.... and you'll wonder why you waited so long to get chickens! [​IMG]

p.s. We took pics and measurements for our "first eggs". One of my friends made pinholes, blew out the eggs, washed & let them dry. Now she has a collection of the first egg from each of her hens.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Fertilized eggs don't start to develop until the hen starts sitting on them. The heat of her body warms up the egg to a certain temperature and then it starts to develop. It continues to develop, as long as it stays at that temperature.

All you need to do for the eggs you want to eat, is make sure you gather your eggs every day. Then they'll be fine. If you ever find eggs in a hidden spot and you don't know how old they are, that could be a potential problem. For the ones from the nest box every day, no worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by