Question about egg turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickiechik, Oct 10, 2011.

1. chickiechik

chickiechik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Venice Florida
    I bought an egg turner off of the internet that was new in the box. When I opened the box I got hit with an awful mildew smell . The turner smelled really bad so I sprayed it down with bleach cleaner rinsed real well and put it in the incubator overnight. ( without eggs). This morning it still smells so I cleaned it with mold and mildew remover, but it still has the mildew smell. Do you think it is usable for incubating the eggs and eventually the smell will go away, or woulkd you suggest I return it. Not sure if it will affect hatching. Any input or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

2. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    Hmmm...maybe try putting it out in the sunshine for a bit? Not too long, so that you warp the plastic, but it seems like you have done everything right. Have you also tried a mix of vinegar and warm water? Or a mix of baking soda and peroxide? Either one is what I use when faced with really really tough odors, and they are also safe. Good luck!

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I myself would contact the seller and return it - if I bought something new in box and it was used and smelled that bad, believe me, last thing I woudl do is try and hatch in it

But that's me

4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by