Question about feathering

supercoop chick

Chirping
5 Years
May 12, 2015
Near San Antonio, TX
this might be a silly question but do chicks begin a second "molt" (I don't know if it's a real molt) almost as soon as they have fully feathered out? Do their colors/patterns change? Is this (at 5 1/2 weeks) a juvenile pattern/color? I'm seeing lots of dark feathers from my black rooster in the brooder.
I'm wondering if he is going to drop more feathers and look different again...I'll never figure out what he is!

I'm on my third crop of chicks, and I've never seen that. I have seen them pick feathers off each other, but not an actual dropping or molt of several feathers. Do you have other birds?

I have eight chicks right now. Two are standard sized, a silver leghorn, and what was supposed to be a RIR but I am leaning towar New Hampshire. Also six bantams. The guy in the picture is...I guessing OEGB?? he began as soild black feathers and now he is beginning to show grey mixing in. They are his feathers I am finding. He is maturing the fastest also. I have had them 5 1/2 weeks and he has by far the largest comb and has been trying to crow for almost two weeks!

Back
Top Bottom