Question about feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dandydoodle, Oct 6, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Does anyone know how to go about finding Organic feed. I live in GA, so that would be best but, if anyone knows of anyplace I could get it that would be great.

Thanks,
    MIchelle

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Are you looking for 50 lb bags of it or by the ton?

My feedstore over here in the Pac NW carries it, and you can special order certain things too (not organic). You might ask your feed store. The cheapest of course would be a feed mill. Or from a farmer.

Also there is Azure Standard...not sure if they service the east coast. That would be expensive. Online you can order it too, to have it delivered, also expensive.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you don't get a response here, you can also try asking on the thread for your state. You might get more local information there.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Or call your county extension agent, in the phone book under county government.

5. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Quote:http://www.organicfeeds.com/statefinder.php

Might also check with some of the feed stores to see if they have some or can order or mix something for you.

Doublecheck the Atlanta chicken forum (google it). Lastly, be friendly and meet your neighbors. You can probably find an organic chicken farmer or egg man that can steer you in the right direction (perhaps there is a farmer's market, too). I met an egg man at our farmer's market this summer. We didn't talk about chicken feed, but he had some pricey eggs, which led me to think he probably knows where to get some organic stuff (i bet there's somebody similar in your area).

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by