Question about feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kmartinez, Jan 17, 2015.

1. kmartinez

kmartinez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2015
    After my babies grow i would like to feed them an organic mix..I found a local farmer that makes organic feed for layers.. This is the ingredients listed. I am new and learning. i would like to know if this sounds like a balanced feed...After looking at feed stores this he is selling it per 50lbs at a good price almost the same as tractor supply. However if i can support a local farmer especially an organic farmer i would prefer doing that rather than buying from a chain..

Corn, Wheat & Buckwheat grown on our family farm. Includes Fertrell Nutri-Balancer to insure nutrition needed for free range layers. Also includes Alfalfa Meal, Cotton Seed Meal, Ground Limestone, Diatomaceous Earth, Molasses & Bone Meal.

Thank you for any advise or opinions :)

2. MegsFlock3

MegsFlock3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2014
    You might try asking the farmer if he uses that for his chickens.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    There should be a nutrition label with percentages of protein, fat, calcium, everything...
    .......and how do you know it's organic, is he certified?

4. kmartinez

kmartinez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2015
    Yes his farm is certified, I checked I am going to get them to send me a good pic of their label..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by