Question about feeder, don't know if this should go here or elsewhere

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by catlvr976, Apr 1, 2007.

1. catlvr976

catlvr976 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    We are in the process of making our henhouse. It is going to be small, 4'x4'; I am looking to save on floorspace, so was wondering if there is such a thing as a feeder that can hang on a wall. If so, does anyone know where I can get one (one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg)?

The other thing I was wondering, can a roost bar go over the top of a nest box (which will be covered) or is that a bad idea?

Thanks!

2. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    You can make PVC feeders that hang them on the wall. I believe somebody makes wall feeders. I'll try to find the links to them.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  3. cornishman

cornishman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2007
    i don't like to put the nest higher than the roost pole...i don't like poop in the nest...you can make your own feeders out of wood if your handy...you might try cutting a hole the size of the nest and letting your nest be outside the coop to save space and add hinges to access the eggs...cornishman.[​IMG]

4. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I have some answers! I was in a similar situation last year for a separate coop I had to build for a few bantams.

I used a galvanized "J" feeder intended for rabbits. It can be attached to the wall or to the cage wire. It was cheap.

I built my roost over the nest box but you have to do a couple things to make it work out. I made a nest box with a droppings pit built in. I bulit it out of scrap plywood. I framed in the top and set a cat litter box in the slot. I put the roost over the the liiter box but set it low enough so the hens couldn't get in it. I emptied the box every day so it kept the liitle coop really clean and saved space.

5. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Picco-
    Do you have any pictures of your coop inside, liter box solution, etc? Sounds very interesting!
    Thanks!
    Stacey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by