Question about food/water in coop

Melissa Malone

Chirping
Jun 30, 2021
Coloma, California
Hello all,
I wanted to ask a question. I live in northern Ca and we just had some crazy weather. My chickens are in a great shelter that has a coop side/shed side and a covered run. The run stays pretty dry aside from the sides but this last evening of storms made it pretty wet for my pampered girls not to mention they didnt like the wind too much. They did go out into the run but hurried back in . I did end up putting a small waterer and i fed them this morning int he coop. So that is my question. Is it okay during crazy weather to go ahead and feed my girls inside their coop? I know this seems like a stupid question but I just want sure.

I prefer to leave my food and water in a sheltered part of the run, rather than inside a small coop. It takes up too much space inside and I figure that chickens are livestock and belong outdoors. :)

I wasn't forcing them to trek through a downpour -- the feed was right next to the pavilion that shaded that coop. But I don't like water and feed being spilled in the coop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/an-outdoor-shelter-for-the-feeder-and-waterer.76487/

Many people do feed and water inside the coop for many reasons.

I prefer to leave my food and water in a sheltered part of the run, rather than inside a small coop. It takes up too much space inside and I figure that chickens are livestock and belong outdoors. :)

I wasn't forcing them to trek through a downpour -- the feed was right next to the pavilion that shaded that coop. But I don't like water and feed being spilled in the coop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/an-outdoor-shelter-for-the-feeder-and-waterer.76487/

Many people do feed and water inside the coop for many reasons.
Yeh and some people don’t have the room outside too. My show birds have food and water in the coop and they only get grass with me watching. They had A little piece of turf but they destroyed that very fast.

Yeh and some people don’t have the room outside too. My show birds have food and water in the coop and they only get grass with me watching. They had A little piece of turf but they destroyed that very fast.

To my mind there is more square footage for the food and water in the 10 square feet per bird in the run than in the 4 square feet per bird in the coop -- but I know that not every setup has a protected run area.

Is it okay during crazy weather to go ahead and feed my girls inside their coop? I know this seems like a stupid question but I just want sure.
No question is stupid when you're trying to do best by your animals. It's not a problem to feed/water inside the coop during bad storms like y'all had this weekend. If I didn't have a covered run, I would move it inside during that kind of rain. Just make sure to clean up any spilled food/water and they'll be fine. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom