question about free chicks from feed store

yomama

Crowing
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
outside, except when I'm inside
So one of our larger feed stores around here is giving away free chicks with the purchase of some chick starter. Is there anything I should worry about if I were to go ahead and get some? I think they are giving away as many as 5 chicks at a time, but I need to double check. Now normally, I order my chicks online, vaccinated against Marek's disease, since I had a hen that came down with it a few years back. I know these chicks will not be vaccinated, but I also know most of my neighbors have chickens that have never been vaccinated and are just fine. I've just never heard of stores just giving them away, so I'm wondering if there is usually some sort of catch that anyone has encountered with something like this?
Thanks!

Around here the feed store that does it does it because they know the people will be back for more feed. Most folks come in and pick up their cuties and some feed, and suddenly they are hooked. Might as well be giving out needles and heroin, because folks are going to be back for more. More food. More peeps. MUST HAVE MORE.

I'm on a twelve step program to beat my chicken addiction. I did fine on step one (admit you have a problem). At step two I think I did something wrong, because I appealed to a higher power (my wife) and she said "You should get some more." I don't know what step 3 is because I'm enjoying repeating one and two.

goodpost.gif

Around here the feed store that does it does it because they know the people will be back for more feed. Most folks come in and pick up their cuties and some feed, and suddenly they are hooked. Might as well be giving out needles and heroin, because folks are going to be back for more. More food. More peeps. MUST HAVE MORE.

I'm on a twelve step program to beat my chicken addiction. I did fine on step one (admit you have a problem). At step two I think I did something wrong, because I appealed to a higher power (my wife) and she said "You should get some more." I don't know what step 3 is because I'm enjoying repeating one and two.
Lol!! They are like drugs, little stinkers! The part I didn't mention is that I have chicks coming in April
hide.gif
. But only 8. I try to keep myself at 20 birds, so as not to get overwhelmed. Currently, I'm at 13 - except one is a duck, so that doesn't really count. I don't really need any right now, but then again, that hasn't stopped us addicts yet!

Pick sex-links and know the boys from the girls.

I'm wondering if it will be straight run only? If I can choose, Sex Links would be the safest bet. I don't currently have a roo, and I really don't need one. Great, now I'm all excited!! Maybe I'll be "lucky", and they won't have any more when I get there, lol!!

he he he

The cost of the bird is a tiny part of the cost of rearing a Cornish Rock! Still sounds like a great deal though. I would be all over it if a store in my neck of the woods had this offer.

we have a feed store in our area that has a customer appreciation day and you buy a 50# bag of feed and get 10 free chicks. Last year we got 40 chicks. We already had a few chickens and needed to buy food anyway (g) Just hatched 25 little ones and plan on going to get more "free" chicks at feed store at the end of the month. But as I type we are talking about setting some more eggs (g) so yes, chicks are like drugs but in a good way.
smile.png

There are a couple of feed stores that have these give aways once a year. Sometimes they are Cornish and sometimes they are layer breed pullets. I got a selection of 5 layers this way a couple of years ago. I was very happy with them. And they were vaccinated. I would get them again but this year I want specific breeds. With the giveaway would had to just take what they gave you. They would grab 5 chicks from an assorted pullet bin, but them in a box, and hand them to you. The would not accept requests for specific chicks. If I remember right I ended up with a Gold Sex Link, RIR, BR, White Leghorn, and either Brown Leghorn or BO (I don't remember).

Back
Top Bottom