Question about getting rid of small flock?

GRAM49

Songster
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Indiana
Due to several circumstances I will be getting rid of my tiny flock soon. Not something I especially want to do but sometimes you just have to face things. My question is this: I have 12 laying hens that are almost 3 years old and a pr. of Bantams. How do I go about getting rid of them. Are the hens to old to sell or should I just try and find someone interested in just taking them all for free? I just dread this process, but need to get it done soon. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Gram

put the word out thru friends, craigslist, the local mailman, that you have to get rid of your birds and you want $2 each. I started my flock just this way. Purchased the 1st 7 at $2 each, then added 6 more for the same price the following year. They were 2 to 3 year old RIR's. The guy selling his 70 birds the 2nd year moved them all to good homes. It's worth a try! If you weren't so far, I'd take them!

hide.gif
Freezer camp? I mean if you eat chicken then they have served a good life as layers and could fill your freezer to feed your family?

I'm sorry you have to give up your chickens.

You could post in the "Buy ~ Sell ~ Trade" section here. I wonder if it would be better to have two different ads, one for the bantams and one for the standard layers? Most people glance at the title, to see if they want to read it. There's also a thread in the "Where am I? Where are you?" section for most states. You could mention it there, in case anyone is interested. You could also try Craigslist, if you don't get a response here. Maybe put a note up at the feed stores or feed mills, too.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I couldn't eat them. The are Buffs, NH Reds, Australorps and Barred Rocks. Not sure if you could say they are friendly or not. I have not made pets out of them, such as holding, etc., but they are good birds, no roosters.

You've give me some really good suggestions. Guess my brain just hasn't processed yet and now I have some ideas to work with. Thanks

I was going to say craigslist...but just realize, they probably will end up being eaten..the way I figure, it might as well be you eating them.. sorry

I would put a sign up at the local feed store and sell the flock for a really cheap price. State to a good home only. Another place would be the grocery store. There are so many people out there that you don't know of that would want them, got to get the word out.

That sounds like a beautiful little flock and I like all those breeds. If they'll come when they see I have snacks in my hand or when they see me scattering grain on the ground, that's friendly enough for me.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom