Question About Gosling Behavior/Affection

StuporMan

Chirping
Mar 22, 2021
Hi, first time goose owner here! While I've done an ungodly amount of research about how to care for my Buff Goslings' needs, I wanted to just get a second opinion about how they display affection.
https://youtube.com/shorts/kLf1-MppTXM?feature=share
My goslings tend to do this when I either stuck my hand in their brooder or put them on their 'play time quilt' (a very thick quilt on top of fluffy towels) as well as crowding around my face. I know the crowding is a sign of them liking me, but I wanted to make sure that the biting shown in the video wasn't an early sign of aggression, I'd much rather raise my geese right than assume!

Goslings biting, chewing, and tugging your fingers is just them being curious and exploring the world. It is not at all a sign of aggression.

That said, I don't think it's a good idea to let them chew your fingers or clothes. They're very much creatures of habit and they find joy and comfort in doing the same things over and over. And while the finger chewing is cute now, they only get bigger and stronger. In a few weeks they'll be big enough for it to hurt, and they will not understand why you're suddenly unwilling to play their favorite game.

I suggest you give them other stuff to explore with their bills. Sturdy baby toys, dog toys. They love bright colors, things that rattle or crunch while being played with, and stuff that "gives", like plastic clogs. Just make sure they can't destroy it and eat anything that's bad for them. You can also dig up a square of grass turf and watch them go nuts!

I suggest you give them other stuff to explore with their bills. Sturdy baby toys, dog toys. They love bright colors, things that rattle or crunch while being played with, and stuff that "gives", like plastic clogs.
I had actually been considering that already, so good to know I was on the right track! I know I always try to teach my ducks that light nibbling is ok but anything too painful is a no no, thanks so much!

Mine did that too and we allowed it for about three days. Then he grew to the point that it was painful! I got him a soft rubber ball and we have chew time with that. When he sees me pick it up he knows it is something he is allowed to chew and nibble to his content, and it's been a good replacement.

Back
Top Bottom