Question About Grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alessadry, Mar 10, 2011.

1. alessadry

alessadry Songster

Mar 3, 2011
    I got some grit at Walmart but they only had ''gravel' n grit'' from Hartz for all pet birds. I noticed it has calcium and calcium carbonate and heard Calcium is not good for baby chicks? is this true? my chicks are a week old and on medicated chick starter..

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  2. HenMamma

HenMamma Songster

May 10, 2008
    Emmet TWP, MI
    I don't give mine grit until they start treats. Normally you don't need grit with starter. Sometimes it even says on the starter bag that you don't need additional grit.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

You can use sand - does not need to be cleaned - or even dirt with a bit of small rock in it for your chicks.

I give all my chicks grit. All my broodies, one of the first things they do when they leave the nest with the chicks is to show and offer them dirt/sand/small rock bits. I figure if they think it is a good idea for the babies they are raising, cannot hurt the ones I hatch in the bator.

This way, I do not have to worry at all what the chicks might ingest - pine shavings bits included. [​IMG]

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Songster

May 15, 2009
    I like the chick grit from the farm store. I know what I'm getting and as a bonus it's colored red so when it is sprinkled on the chicks food they will be attracted to it and eat it.

5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Songster

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I put my regular poultry grit in my kitchen strainer and give the chicks the bits that fall through the holes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: