Question about heat light at night.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bakinghomesteader, Apr 17, 2009.

1. bakinghomesteader

bakinghomesteader Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    central Illinois
    I think this question got lost in my other post. [​IMG]

My chicks are about 6 weeks old. Seem to be pretty much feathered out. There are 16 of them and we put them in the coop today. They are happy as can be. My question is do they need a heat light at night still? It is going to be 48 to 50 tonight. What do you think? [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I answered in your other post. If it will make you feel better, keep the light on at night for about another 2 weeks. They should be totally feathered by then and not need it.
    If you find that before the two weeks are up that when you go to check on them in the morning they're not huddling anywhere near it, go ahead and shut it off.
    IMO, the hardiest chickens are the ones that got acclimated to changing temps. at an early age.

3. bakinghomesteader

Mar 13, 2009
    central Illinois
    So will it be ok if I don't put the light on now at their age?

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    WHat gritsar is saying is, most likely, yes.
    But give them a little just to be safe [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:What's not good is to have them go cold turkey, i.e., being kept under a heat lamp and then suddenly be without it. That's why I suggested you start decreasing the light now. By eight weeks old they should be able to handle anything above freezing or very damp weather just fine. Be sure your coop is draft free.

6. bakinghomesteader

Mar 13, 2009
    central Illinois
    Thanks! They have been without a light for a week or so now. But, they have been in the house which is around 69 degrees. I will use it for a little while. Thanks for all your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by