Question about height of nest boxes?

prodds

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 6, 2011
My husband found a coop design that he is just starting to build. It is a coop with a run underneath. The nest boxes are not raised from the coop floor, and he is placing a 4-6" board at the entrance to the nest boxes to keep the straw/hay in the boxes. The roosts will be a bit higher in the coop. Is it ok to have nest boxes that are not raised? He is afraid if he raises them, they may be nearly as high as the roost, and the chickens will want to sleep (and poop) in their nest boxes. Thanks for any advice!

I'm wondering the same thing. My husband is building our coop and we are new to chickens, and he put the nesting boxes at floor level. I'm not seeing that in any pics I've seen posted. Is this going to be a problem?

I think if the height of your coop does not allow the nest boxes to be built higher off the floor it should be okay. It is true you do not want your nest boxes at the same height or higher than your roost bars. Good luck!

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

There is no rule where to put the nest boxes. Many people put them om the floor. Others have them at many different heights. There are some examples on this thread.

Nesting Boxes
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=41108

You do want the roosts higher than the nest boxes. That makes a big difference. In the small coops you may not have much choice, but if you do, a few things I'd consider.

Unless the nest box is raised high enough that the chickens can get under them, they take away from available coop space. That height off the floor includes the height of the bedding. Also, expect the chickens to do a lot of scratching. Don't be surprised if the bedding piles up underneath the nest boxes, especially if you feed in the coop. They will scratch a lot more around the feeder than under the nest boxes, so the bedding can build up under the nest box.

If the nest box is on the floor level, they might get a little dirtier. The chickens might scratch stuff into them or they might play more in the nest boxes. Both might cause more poop in the nest. This is not nearly as bad as chickens sleeping in them instead of on the roosts though. And they MIGHT get dirtier, not that they absolutely will get dirtier.

Some people have bad backs. They put the nest boxes up where they don't have to bend over to get the eggs.

Most chickens don't seem to mind where they are. I'd suggest putting them where they are convenient for you.

We are using the Purina design and some here have said that the nest boxes are too high (see pic below). Since I'm still in the build process I can lower them if needed. The roost I planned will be below the level of the boxes. Is this an issue??

73334_dscn2556.jpg

The piece of wood in the pic with the cleat is where the nest box will sit.

Quote:
Most people find that their chickens want to roost on the highest spot they can get to. If that spot happens to be your nest box they will probably roost in them. Chickens poop while on the roost so this could make for a messy nest box.

Quote:
Most people find that their chickens want to roost on the highest spot they can get to. If that spot happens to be your nest box they will probably roost in them. Chickens poop while on the roost so this could make for a messy nest box.

Thanks for the advice!! I see that people advise placing the roost at least 18" from the sides of the coop to help prevent poop wallpaper. As long as the roost it higher I should be good! A window will also be cut into the south facing side.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom