Question about "homing"

jmeeter88

Songster
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
New Hartford, NY
OK, I have had my chickens locked up in the coop since Sunday (that's 4 days) and plan to keep it that way until Sunday (a total of 7 days.)

Now on Sunday when I let them out, will they automatically flock back to the coop at dusk? Their food & water is in there, as well as their roost which they sleep on every night...

They should. Mine do it automatically. When I introduced a new hen I let her out the next day and she was still in bed with everyone else that night. I guess you never know though.

Are you letting them free range, or do you have a run. Mine have a bit of both. I let them into the run for a bit after letting them out of the coop. Then when some decided to roost outside of the coop at night th first night or two (close to the coop, just not in it), it was easy to find them and put them back inside. After a couple of nights of this, they all returned to the coop with no problems. I still have one who occasionally decides to sleep in the muscovy house adjacent to the coop, but if I shine my flashlight at her (I'm not always home at bedtime), she gets up and puts herself to bed. lol

If you're letting them free range, I would try letting them out just for an hour or so before dusk for a few days, before letting them range full time. But you may have no problems at all. mine prefer to come home right from the start.

we have 3 coops; my Partridge Silkie bantams were split evenly between two coops, but the guinea fowl in 1 coop were too bossy for them so I rehomed those silkies together with the other silkies; kept them all locked up together for a full week. They rehomed just fine and the Silkies are always the first to go in at night. If they don't rehome well, just lock them up again for another week or until they "get it".

Last edited:
When I did put my birds in lock down, in the evenings I took treats out to the coop and gave them some of their favorites. When I finally let them out they would come in in the eve with no problem.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom