Question about how long it will take for eggs.

Hobby chickens

Hatching
Jun 17, 2020
I am new to this and have 5 hens, 1 chick (2 Weeks old) with a rooster and the person that had them was feeding them corn. I have since put them on laying mash and am curious as to how long it will take for them to start laying eggs now that they are on the laying mash. Wondering if someone can help me with why i am not getting any eggs yet. It has been 4 days, do i need to wait a certain time?

They are a 2 to 3 years old i believe. Except the chick which is 2 weeks old. The person had fed them laying mash for a couple of years but then took them off of it and just fed them corn. I now have them and started feeding them laying mash for the past 4 days.

Congratulations on your new chickens. You are asking a question which has no definitive answer. The age of your hens and according to you the poor quality of food the previous owner used make if very difficult to determine an exact answer.
As mentioned above they have been fed a poor diet. Each bird will be an individual case. The answer will be when they return to good health and their egg production system returns to some kind of normalcy. I wouldn’t expect all birds to return at the same time, but would assume between a month or two, maybe longer.
Good luck

Thank you so much for your help, much appreciated. this gives me an idea at least. I will hopefully see some results with getting them back in good health with a good feed.

I am new to this and have 5 hens, 1 chick (2 Weeks old) with a rooster and the person that had them was feeding them corn. I have since put them on laying mash and am curious as to how long it will take for them to start laying eggs now that they are on the laying mash. Wondering if someone can help me with why i am not getting any eggs yet. It has been 4 days, do i need to wait a certain time?
I wouldn’t feed layer mash until they start laying eggs. Excess calcium can hurt the kidneys and if they aren’t using it for egg production they don’t need it.
Thanks all for the help, good news as i received my first egg this morning. I guess i was doing things right and just needed to be patient. Again thank you all for the info. Happy egging.

Back
Top Bottom