Question About Humidity???

sixshooter60

Songster
8 Years
Feb 5, 2011
Stuart Oklahoma
I know there is a ton of questions been asked about this subject.. i built a homemade bator from a mini fridge. it will hold three turners but i only have one in it now and its full of quail eggs.. its holding temp really good ranging from 99.3 to 99.9 . my question is how do i get the humidity up .. i have the heat source at the top and i put a water pan at the bottom and the best i can get it to is about 40% so i added a sponge with little to no results then i added a small bowl of water with a sponge to the top shelf in front of the heat and it did come up to about 48% which is good until lockdown.. i have four vent holes in the sides two are at the top of the sides at the back and two are at the front on the bottom.the two on the side at the top are bringing air in and the two at the bottom on the sides are letting ait out. i also have small holes 1/4 inch five of them in the back behind the fan so it can suck in some fresh air from there also i have adjusted the vents every way to try and get it to rise but dont seem to have any luck.. could someone tell me what i can do or if i need more vents or just what.. i thought about putting another heat source at the bottom to get the bottom water tray warmer so maybe it would put out more .. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.. thanks

Alright.. Judging from temperature, I am guessing you have a fan installed. Is there a shelf of some sort at the top that you aren't using... Moving the water source closer to the heat will increase evaporation and in turn increase humidity.

Another option is to increase the surface area of the water. Instead of a deep bowl, get a shallow pan...
big_smile.png

yeah thats what i was thinking that i need to get the pan closer to the heat.. i do have a shelf at the top it is where i put two lights for heat the fan is mounted to the back wall and the lights are mounted on each side of the shelf with the fan blowing between them.. i first put a pan in the bottom and couldnt get the humididy to rise much so i did add a small pan on the top shelf in front of the lights.. it does help some but still cant get it over about 50%. i was thinking about putting a small heat source of some kind in the bottom wired in to the stat to cut on and off with the lights and put the pan over the bottom heat and see how that does..thanks for the reply and input i do need all the help i can get.. thanks

Try this then.... Take a few paper towels and fold them up... long ways to create a wick. Then... Let it one end rest in the pan of water, and the other end go up the walls...

Also with humidity vent holes need to be closed, unless you have a high ambient humidity... I am trying to help... Lol.
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom