Question about idea poulrty geese

JamesA

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Cedartown Georgia
I was wanting some geese for my farm and pond and was thing about ordering a few geese from idea.I was wanting a bigger goose so I was thinking about getting 4 American buff geese and either 4 Embden or Toulouse geese.I dont want to breed or raise geese but was just wanting them as pets.What is eveyones opinion on ideas geese besides not being show quality which really doesnt matter to me.I'm more concerned with temperment as I have a three year old.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I am a great fan of geese, however I would not have them around a child that young. Geese have a sense of territory and can be very defensive of that territory during the mating season or while raising their young. You are asking for trouble because the child is going to be interested in the birds and think they are cute harmless birds. It is unlikely that the birds are going to be afraid of the child. I don't think I ever had visitors with children that didn't end up with a child crying because a goose either nipped them ot scared them with their threats.

geese are funny, the can be very agressive but can be scared to death by a broom or a umbrella.

Just have your little one carry something inthe backyard if you decide to get geese.

Since you have a young child, I would think about something smaller than the really large breeds. I think my African gander is about the size of a 3 yo! Buff geese are a medium size and are supposed to be more docile. So are Pilgrims. I wouldn't leave a child unsupervised around even the nicest adult geese. That's just asking for someone to get pinched.

I think everything depends on each goose. Our american buff gander is very agressive during the spring and our Africans could care less at anytime during the year. Our chinas are like cobras with wings 24/7 365 days a year!!!!!

My three year old little girl is watched very closely and never in the yard by herself.She's my little pride and joy and I'd have goose for super if one of them attacked her.I had two geese last year but a predator got them when they were about 5 or 6 months old and my daughter loved them.I think if I keep an eye on her and not let her get close unless I'm with her they will be alright.
smile.png

As long as the your three year old is around the geese as they grow, I think they'd be fine together. Not saying you wont develop an aggressive goose but my geese were always fine with people, although they were kind of scared of children
lau.gif
idk way, maybe it was their small size and fast movement.

Back
Top Bottom