question about incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickmomma30, Apr 12, 2008.

1. chickmomma30

chickmomma30 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Odessa MO
    Ok i got the chicken bug so next spring when i know my hens are good layers i want to hatch my own chicks will be cheeper then buying also lol.

so my question is what is the best bator that is fairly cheap?

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I don't know if it's really cheaper than buying a few chicks, first you buy the bator, than you buy lots of hatching eggs of all kinds of breeds.. [​IMG]

I like my hova-bator. Good luck!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Best bator and cheap don't go well together sadly enough.

In the small bator class the Hovabator 1588 is the best for your dollar and generally the most reliable. It has a preset thermostat and a fan. All you really have to do is plug it in and let it go. Add eggs and water and wait. With a turner is runs about $168 from the manufacturer - GQF- plus shipping.

The cheap models like an LG can be picked up for about $40. You will regret buying one of those. The thermostat is control by you, the wafers can go out and be tricky. I wouldn't waste my time fooling with one. Been there. Done That. Never again.

4. chickmomma30

chickmomma30 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Odessa MO
    thank you ladies. I was thinking that the ones that cost a little more would be best. Go to know about hte cheapers ones not always the best.

I was thinking of hatching my own eggs if i can figure out how lol. worth a try. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by