question about integrating my chicks to the "flock"

winniem

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 7, 2012
I hope it is ok to x-post this here...I tried first in the baby chick forum but didn't get any replies:

A couple of weeks ago, I thought I successfully moved the chicks (3 of them) out to the coop to join the older girls (also 3 of them).
Now, it seems that the big girls are constantly charging at the littles. Is this normal behavior that will sort itself out? Not seeing any blood and it usually stops at a charge or peck, but it is fairly constant when they are in the coop together. When they are out free ranging they seem to keep to themselves and there is no conflict.

I am hoping they all learn to get along, knowing that at some point the little ones will grow up and if they start to fight back it could get nasty.

Any ideas to help them peacefully co-exist?

I think the chicks need to be comparable size to the adults, or, give them a place they can escape that the bigger birds can't get through. I think chickens are a lot like other animals in that if the offspring is not theirs - then they may try to kill it or run it off. once the babies aren't babies anymore, things may go smoother

i'm finding integrating into a small flock difficult too.

I haven't got my chicks yet, but I have some that will be arriving much later than others and integrating them is worrying me!

Back
Top Bottom