Question about integrating new ducklings with 2 duck hens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ArtistaRaquel, Mar 21, 2015.

1. ArtistaRaquel

ArtistaRaquel Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2010
    Manassas, Va
    Hello all,

I apologize if the answer to this can be found elsewhere on the site, but I was unable to find it.

I have ordered a Welsh Harlequin hen and drake and two Golden 300 hens from Metzer's to be delivered in early May. I currently have two Welsh Harlequin hens who are about a year old. Is there any possibility that they might take in the ducklings as their own? I also have chickens, and know that integrating youngsters with established hens is ridiculously challenging. The ducks are currently mixed in the flock with the chickens, but I have a run extension attached to the main run and coop that is made of 1/2" hardware cloth and has a corrugated plastic roof where all the ducks could stay (if it turned out my adult girls took in the ducklings) until the ducklings are bigger and could be integrated with the chickens.

Thanks for any input!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think it is very similar with ducks - every now and then I hear of ducks adopting ducklings, but many times, even ducks that hatch ducklings may turn on them. sheesh.

I would plan to keep the ducklings and ducks in sight of each other, but not where they can get at each other - until the ducklings are as tall as the adults, perhaps longer.

My thoughts, anyway. We may be getting a few ducklings this year and that would be my plan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by