Question about introducing singleton hen to new chicks

nanasnuggets

Chirping
Jul 28, 2015
Bassett Wisconsin
We are in a bad situation here....We are left with one adult hen after a TERRIBLE coyote attack. We received nine one-day old chicks on Thursday (5 days old now). I introduced the hen (non-broody) to them while still in the mailing box.
We bring her into the house to see them a few times a day and she finally jumped into the brooder box with them. They peck at her comb and wattle and she sits there and 'takes it' without attacking them. They even come and try and sit under her. She's not showing interest in that.
We are keeping her outside in our fenced back yard to reduce predator attacks. She has started to literally throw herself at our windows to try and get back into the house! Does she REALLY want to see the chicks?
I really don't want a 'house chicken'!!

She is lonely and sounds like they all would be better off if you can arrange to move your brooder to the coop or bring the hen inside. It's a really lucky thing she is already friendly to the babies. IMO let her raise them.

@Blooie @aart @azygous have articles, threads that can help you figure out how to accomplish it.

Thank you for the replies! This is our third 'batch' of chicks; last year we had four adult hens and raised ten chicks. All of them are gone now except Hildy.
I think that by the end of the week I can move them into our attached garage, put them in the kiddie pool (with heat lamp and barriers) and let her have free access to them. Right now, they can hear her through the window and
boy, do they get excited! It appears as if they are looking for HER.

N.B.- I DID take two out to her while she was sitting on her nest; she made a really strange noise and got off the nest. I DON'T think that I'll try putting any more into the coop - yet.:(

Back
Top Bottom