Question about ISA Browns

Thanks for the replys but this is an old thread that I dont even remember starting but I know what they are now and decided not to get either of them. Maybe others can learn from this thread though as well.

Last edited:
I was researching Isa Browns and this thread came up so I guess I re-activated it. I have Isa Browns and want to do a breeding program with them and was wondering if any one has done any breeding with them? I love my Isa Browns. They are dynamite layers. My birds consistently lay X-lg to jumbo eggs all year long. They lay great in the heat and the cold. I do have night lights in their coops but do not have any other supplemental light. Now I want to breed them. I am planning on breeding my older super layers to my young roos.

These pics are older. I don't have any real current pics. We have 65 birds.

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

111609018.jpg

We had just moved one of the other coops here and were getting ready to make a yard for the birds in this coop.
10410044.jpg

111809008.jpg

The white chick in the middle is one of my cockerels.
IMG_2493.jpg

The color in this pic is off even the color of my basket is more brown.
IMG_0880-1.jpg
IMG_2716.jpg

The egg on the right in the pic on the left is 60 grams the other 3 eggs are all over 70 grams.
In the pic on the right the 3rd egg from the left in the top row is 100 grams and the egg to the right of it is 84 grams.
the other eggs in the pic on the right are 64 grams to 72 grams.
X-lg eggs are 64 - 69 grams, Jumbos are over 69 grams.
010510003.jpg
IMG_2715.jpg

Last edited:
great ISA Brown Info. Our local meat processor is Amish and he orders 500 of these pullets each year and sells POL pullets for $12. each. He has wonderful luck with the eggs and uses the old hens as soup chickens. Said he has been using ISA Brown's for several years and loves them.

I love those pics of your flock, thanks for taking the time to load them up. HenZ

I love my Isa Browns because weather doesn't seem to affect them they are great layers all year long. They only slow up when they molt. In my research they are suspposed to breed true, so I'm going to give it a try. I have been doing some hatching of other breeds for other people so this will be a new experience hatching my own.

Thanks for the pics. Are the roosters White and are you saying that with these you can some how breed Isa Brown to Isa Brown and still get sexlinked chicks? Have you actually dont this or is this from something you've read ? ........ETA Nevermind, you answered as I was asking lol

I know I said I decided not to get any but really I am still planning on getting some type of Red Sexlink as layers to sell eating eggs again, I was just leaning more towards Cackles Golden Commets or maybe some from TSC this spring. But I am still open to possibilities

Last edited:
Quote:
I decided to wait until the weather warms up but I will keep you posted when I do put eggs in the incubator and what kind of a hatch I get. I have a friend that has Red Sexlinks and for the past few months they have layed poorly. I thought they were supposed to be super layers... I get between 300 - 320 eggs per bird per yr. I do sell my eggs. I sell them almost as fast as the birds lay them. I have had my birds tested and am NPIP certified. I have had people ask me about my birds so I have a copy of the certificate on a bulletin board next to my egg cooler. I really think that it has affected my egg sales for the better.

Last edited:
Quote:
I decided to wait until the weather warms up but I will keep you posted when I do put eggs in the incubator and what kind of a hatch I get. I have a friend that has Red Sexlinks and for the past few months they have layed poorly. I thought they were supposed to be super layers... I get between 300 - 320 eggs per bird per yr. I do sell my eggs. I sell them almost as fast as the birds lay them. I have had my birds tested and am NPIP certified. I have had people ask me about my birds so I have a copy of the certificate on a bulletin board next to my egg cooler. I really think that it has affected my egg sales for the better.

Do you sell and ship hatching eggs ? Or just eating eggs ? I may end up being interested in some of them depending on your prices. Are the roosters with them White like other sexlinks ?

Back
Top Bottom