Question about ISA Browns

Quote:
I decided to wait until the weather warms up but I will keep you posted when I do put eggs in the incubator and what kind of a hatch I get. I have a friend that has Red Sexlinks and for the past few months they have layed poorly. I thought they were supposed to be super layers... I get between 300 - 320 eggs per bird per yr. I do sell my eggs. I sell them almost as fast as the birds lay them. I have had my birds tested and am NPIP certified. I have had people ask me about my birds so I have a copy of the certificate on a bulletin board next to my egg cooler. I really think that it has affected my egg sales for the better.

Do you sell and ship hatching eggs ? Or just eating eggs ? I may end up being interested in some of them depending on your prices. Are the roosters with them White like other sexlinks ?

Do you sell and ship hatching eggs ? I haven't I have just been selling them for eating.

Are the roosters with them White like other sexlinks? Yes

Quote:
Do you sell and ship hatching eggs ? Or just eating eggs ? I may end up being interested in some of them depending on your prices. Are the roosters with them White like other sexlinks ?

Do you sell and ship hatching eggs ? I haven't I have just been selling them for eating.

Are the roosters with them White like other sexlinks? Yes

OK Thanks, Then if the roosters are white if they were to breed true then they would have to go against typical genetic rules, they shouldnt breed true becuase the hens are pure gold gened and the roos are split for both silver and gold genes and for making sexlinked offspring, you have to have a pure gold gened Roo on pure Silver gened hens. So my prediction is that when you breed them together, you should get females that half of them would be pure gold gened and half would be pure silver gened, and the roos should be half pure gold gened (like the ISA hens) and half that are split for both silver and gold genes ( like the ISA roos) , and since the ISAs I belive should be het for Dom White, then that should eliminate any black in most if not all of the chicks but you may still get a quarter of them showing black. So technically they should breed half true to color but with an additonal 25% Silver pullets and 25% Gold roos and so with those additons, the birds wouldnt be sexlinked. So thats what I'm predicting based on how the genes for Sexlinkage and Crossing between Silver and Gold inverse colors work. So please let us know what you get when you do try it.

Last edited:
I'm excited about hatching some eggs so I am going to be constructing some breeding and grow-out pens soon, as I want to start my breeding program in the spring. This is an experiment as I am also interested in seeing what I get. I will keep this thread bookmarked for updates. Some of my research says they will breed true and some say they won't. We will see. I have some Isa Browns over 1½ yrs old and they still average 6 eggs each per week. I have read some info where their Isa's slowed considerably after a year. I am going to start with my 10 best 1½ yrs old layers and breed them to my little roos when they are old enough to see what I will get.

Here are some of my young birds.
IMG_2727.jpg
IMG_2730.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I have bred them and you get all color of chicks and the 2nd generation are not sex linked but make very good layers. Give it a shot it is fun. Don't be surprized if you get some black chicks.

Quote:
I have bred them and you get all color of chicks and the 2nd generation are not sex linked but make very good layers. Give it a shot it is fun. Don't be surprized if you get some black chicks.

do you have pictures?

Quote:

They are Michigan chicks and I love them!!!

Quote:

do you have pictures?

Sorry no pictures.
Gary

Quote:

do you have pictures?

I took some pictures of my hatch so far. I set 60 eggs and 21 have hatched so far.
IMG_2962.jpg

Back
Top Bottom