Question About Keeping Diff Breeds Together

monilarac

Hatching
7 Years
May 12, 2012
NC for Now
I'm moving to 5 acres in less than then 2 months and would like to get chickens in the future. Right now, I'm learning all I can about them, their care, housing, etc.

My question is this: Can I keep Orpingtons with Silkies? I'm wanting the Orpingtons for the eggs and Silkies I just find adorable! Just wasn't sure if they would be compatible.

Also, for a family of 4 that go through at least 3 dozen eggs a month, how many should be in my flock?

I'm very excited about getting my flock and entering the world of chickens!

Any of the large fowl breeds do fine together, but Silkies are both bantam and crested. Sometimes they do OK in with large birds and sometimes not. It's not unusual for them to get their heads pecked or the feathers pulled. They actually have a skull defect so this can lead to brain injury as well. Also, they are a very broody breed, and hens don't lay while they are broody, so you may not get many eggs from them at all. If you are after eggs, best to consider breeds like Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock, Australorp, Sussex, etc. (there are many) along with the Orpingtons. Probably you should figure each hen will lay about 4 eggs a week, as an average over a year. They lay best in spring and fall (if they don't go broody) and may stop or slow down a lot in winter.

I was curious about this, too. The wondeful lady I got my Silkies from said that it's okay to mix the breeds, but any of the standard chickens that I put in with the Silkies must be introduced young. She said otherwise they would bully the silkies. Anyone else have any experience with this?

I was thinking of Orpingtons for the eggs and the Silkies just because I love them. I'm not TO worried about getting eggs from them.

So...I'm probably thinking 4 Orps and 2 Silkies? Or maybe 5 Orps with what I need. Will it matter if the ratio is not 1:1 for Orps:Silkies? I'm wondering if it's best to have them equally balanced?

If I were to buy them all as chicks, would it decrease the risk of the Silkies being bullied by the other hens?

I just bought my first bunch a month ago. 1 barred rock, 2 cuckoo marans, and 1 silkie. The silkie is definitely the outcast of the group but our nicer cuckoo lets her cuddle. She also had pasty butt when we first got her and did not look well at first, wobbly, standing a lot, and generally looking a bit lethargic. She's perked up quite a bit since then but I wonder if her health in the beginning helped to establish her at the bottom of the pecking order. She's only about half the size as the others as well, though that doesn't stop her from playing keep away with a dark piece or wood shavings or a bit of root. ;) I was worried about her at first but I think she'll be ok. Unfortunately because of her pasty butt and needing to be handled so much during that first week she's afraid of us and peeps loudly in distress when handled. :p

Back
Top Bottom